Director of Cancer Research Center
Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI), part of Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), is a national center of excellence in biomedical research. It aims to transform healthcare through harnessing and converting the latest advances in science, medicine and technology into novel discoveries that will lead to more effective treatments and preventive strategies for human diseases such as: diabetes, cancer and neurological disorders. The institute strives toward the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to facilitate early diagnosis, treatment and management of these devastating diseases with the purpose of improving personalized medicine and healthcare. QBRI has recently occupied state-of-the-art life sciences laboratories in a newly established research campus.
Building on existing strengths, QBRI is committed to developing a center of excellence in cancer with an emphasis on investigating the tumor microenvironment and immunotherapeutic approaches for breast cancer and mechanisms employed by tumors to evade immune-mediated destruction.
Director of Cancer Research Center
To fulfill its mission QBRI invites applications for a scientific leadership post. The successful applicant will be responsible for setting strategy and driving research activities in cancer. They will also have the freedom to pursue research they deem important. The research team in the Cancer Research Center will have outstanding scientific resources and generous funding opportunities amid existing expertise in cancer immunology and immunotherapy with a focus on the tumor microenvironment and immune evasion mechanisms.
This position offers access to state-of-the-art core laboratories and a homogeneous and genetically unique population. There will also be the opportunity to take a joint academic appointment at the College of Science and Engineering or College of Health and Life Sciences at HBKU. The position offers ample opportunities for interaction and collaboration with national, regional and international universities, research institutes, clinical entities and organizations.
- Plan, build and manage a comprehensive center that will grow to around 40 researchers across a variety of disciplines
- Set the research agenda, develop a strategic plan, establish budgets, explore options, gain consensus and ultimately execute research
- Recruit a team of world-class researchers, leveraging one’s professional network
- A PhD in a relevant field of cancer research and a minimum of 10 to 15 years of leadership experience in public and/or private research institutions of significant scale
- Known, influential entity in his/her field with a vision of how to create, grow and nurture a world-class research center
- Excellent and effective communication, management and organizational skills
- A demonstrated ability to work in a team/matrix environment
How to apply
Please submit your complete application (a copy of curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching philosophy statement, publications list, and reprints of the five most relevant publications, as well as the names and contacts of a minimum of three referees) through the HBKU website. (https://hbku.wufoo.com/forms/w19msafp0nl4byb/)
Completed applications will be reviewed and interviews will be arranged on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.