Linus Pauling Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship 2019
Job Posting: 308136
Directorate: Deputy Director of Science & Technology
Division: Institutional S&T Investments
The Linus Pauling Distinguished Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is accepting qualified candidate applications from recent and upcoming PhD Graduates in Science & Engineering, who wish to conduct research on a project of their choice.
PNNL's Linus Pauling Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship is designed for the next generation of scientists and engineers who will push the boundaries of science to world-recognized discoveries.
Pauling Fellows will be encouraged through active mentoring by internationally recognized scientists and equipped with the resources to carry out a research program of their own design. They will learn cutting-edge approaches, utilize and build state-of-science capabilities, as well as contribute to research efforts that advance scientific frontiers and solve pressing challenges for the nation.
Candidates will be required to submit the following items as one PDF uploaded attachment when applying to this position:
1. Cover letter
2. Current CV
3. Statement of Research Interests/Plans (including reasoning on why PNNL is a good place to carry out your studies)
4. Written Response to each of the following questions (please include views from your own research interests as well as a wider scope across your field):
- What is the most interesting/challenging problem in your field today? What intrigues you most about this problem?
- What do you think it will take to solve that problem (do we need to invent new tools, new algorithms, push the bounds of detection limits)? What will it take and how would you propose to engage or participate?
- If that problem were already solved, what would the impact be on you? On science? On society?
5. Unofficial Transcripts
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past three (3) years or by August 2019 from an accredited college or university.
- Must have completed a PhD in a Science or Engineering field related to the mission areas of Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Have submitted the PDF application packet as indicated above