DPS Clinical Research Assistant I | Liquid Tumor Core
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Job Title: DPS Clinical Research Assistant | Liquid Tumor Bank
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
Under the general supervision of the Principal Investigator and/or Tissue Bank Supervisor, manages an assigned set of research protocols to assure efficiency and regulatory compliance of the protocols.Responsible for identifying appropriate patients per study criteria, checking study eligibility and obtaining informed consent. Responsible for compilation, registration, specimen procurement (tracking, ordering and collection) and submission of study-related data; monitors study compliance and maintains a system for effective data flow associated with research protocols. Exercises frequent independent judgment as defined in the position accountabilities.
- Conducts protocol management for an assigned set of research protocols.
- Maintains current and accurate protocol documentation; notifies investigators of pertinent protocol changes.
- Identifies study-eligible patients and obtains informed consent. Ensures consented patients are appropriately registered; maintains documentation of patient registration.
- Compiles and submits data on appropriate forms according to protocol requirements.
- Ensures protocol compliance with intense monitoring of specific study requirements; and schedules protocol related specimen procurement.
- Plays active role in recruitment of patients to study.
- Assists in training and mentoring new clinical research staff members.
- Performs protocol specific clinical duties as required per the research study.
- Performs data management and data analyses, as required by the research study.
- Establishes and maintains interpersonal relationships with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel, while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Tracks, orders and collects specimens for banking in accordance with study protocols, using appropriate or specified equipment for collecting and handling specimens; ensures proper labeling and obtains pertinent clinical and protocol information on request forms.
- Works with physician or nurse to see that protocol related specimens are ordered per protocol guidelines.
- Identifies and communicates important protocol and data management issues or problem areas to supervisor.
- Works on special data management projects as assigned.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to maintain certification/licensure, and/or keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Ensures work environment is organized and functions efficiently.
- Attends and participates in meetings as required.
- Is able to function independently with no quality control audits beside one yearly audit.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Associate's Degree. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Required courses/training: Medical terminology.
- Preferred education: Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum experience: Good written and verbal skills. Experience managing multiple tasks.
- Preferred Experience:
- Read, identify and extract pertinent data from medical record.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend medical terminology.
- Medical Record, Health Information Systems, or related health field.
- Prior direct patient contact and or communication.
- Foster/promote a positive image and professional appearance
- Sensitivity to intercultural relations
- Access data in computer data bases
- Proofread documents
- Research information
- Compile data
- Use computer packages
- Use word-processing software
- Troubleshoot problems
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.