Do you crave the excitement of a start-up company, coupled with the resources and support of an established and well-respected organization? The Jackson Laboratory (http://www.jax.org) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution internationally recognized for its research excellence and world-class faculty, who perform leading-edge research in the fields of human genomics and mouse genetics. At JAX, our Information Technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science. Join our Research IT team to help plan, design, and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding and hands-on experience in High Performance Computing (HPC) environments, scientific data management, and laboratory information systems, as well as experience working collaboratively with researchers and Information Technology.
- Based on the scientific needs of faculty and research staff, identify and recommend innovative solutions and integrated proposals for server, storage, and network systems; including hardware and software acquisition, installation and administration.
- Help integrate IT resources with laboratory equipment, such as DNA sequencers, microscopes and other imaging devices.
- Develop appropriate computational strategies to acquire, store, process, and analyze sequencing and imaging data.
- Install and update scientific applications in the Research IT environment, including but not limited to relevant HPC clusters and their associated batch scheduling systems, such as SGE or PBS.
- Investigate application issues and document findings. Communicate with scientists to answer questions and troubleshoot problems; provide guidance, support, and advice on Research IT systems.
- Provide technical support internally and to external vendors, including problem resolution for complex systems and storage solutions.
- Benchmark application and workflow performance and determine areas for improved efficiencies.
- Develop and deliver training programs, tutorials, and workshops for scientists on the optimal use of IT resources in their research projects.
- Research and evaluate new products and services for applicability to in-house needs. Stay current with new trends and emerging information technologies and informatics tools; advocate for and lead the adoption of these technologies at JAX.
- Assist in preparation for submitting grant proposals.
- PhD in life/natural sciences with 3 years’ experience, or Master’s degree in life/natural sciences with 5 years’ experience at a research-focused organization.
- Research background with hands-on experience on a broad spectrum of data collection, management, processing, and analysis tools, such as Omero, Matlab, Illumina, PacBio, and Oxford Nanopore.
- Proficient in large dataset analysis in biology, biomedical informatics, Pharma, or clinical research.
- Strong technical knowledge of research computing system architecture, hardware components, and software stack.
- Expertise with Unix/Linux systems, shell scripting, C/C++ programming, Python/Perl, and other relevant tools.
- Experience with building, installing, configuring and supporting a wide range of commercial, open-source, and in-house developed scientific applications such as Matlab, R, STATA, MySQL.
- Familiar with Cloud computing, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
- Experience with parallel programing (OpenMP, MPI), application and algorithm development for heterogeneous parallel computing environments including multicore systems, and systems with GPGPUs.
Apply for Systems Analyst
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly