Sr. Principal Investigator, Virology (#636)
The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center managed and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute (BNBI) for the Department of Homeland Security.
The Senior Principal Investigator (Virology) is responsible for designing and executing research studies in the National Biological Threat Characterization Center (NBTCC) at the NBACC which addresses specific scientific questions of national significance in support of biodefense preparedness, response, and recovery. Areas of research include a range of topics related to the physical, biological, molecular and/or pathogenic properties of viral agents. As a member of the Virology Group, the successful candidate will contribute both intellectually and at the bench. The Sr. Principal Investigator is responsible for providing accurate status reports, meeting project milestones/deliverables and/or reporting early warnings of deviations from NBTCC Project Plans to the Senior PI Manager and NBTCC Lab Director in a timely manner. The successful candidate is responsible for management of the Virology Group in the absence of the Senior PI Manager for Virology.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Requires a PhD (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 9 years related experience.
- Ability to demonstrate success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity and accountability, while collaborating with others using independent thought.
- Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
- Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
- Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
- Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP). Current clearance(s) desirable.
- Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
- Participation in the Immunization Program through Corporate Occupational Health Solutions, LLC (CorpOHS) is required.
- May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
- Plans, implements, directs and manages virology-based research projects. Experimental design includes a range of studies, from characterization of agent persistence to assessment of virulence in animal models
- Assures that for all projects performed under their supervision that the project team members are properly trained and qualified to perform job assignments and all work is performed in compliance with all regulatory and sponsor requirements.
- Assures Virology group is properly trained and qualified to perform job assignments, and assures projects performed under their supervision are performed in compliance with all regulatory and sponsor requirements.
- Manages virology projects within time and budget constraints
- Prepares deliverables for assigned projects, ensuring they are high quality and meet the requirements defined in Project Plans.
- Provides technical leadership in evaluation of new methods, equipment and proposing novel techniques to enhance the capabilities of the virology group.
- Maintains familiarity with state-of-the-science methods in virology and provides technical leadership in evaluation of new methods, equipment and proposing novel techniques to enhance the capabilities of the virology group.
- Collaborates with other scientists, participates in the review of prior and on-going studies, and clearly presents research results in written and oral formats.
- Performs work with standard and select agents in BSL-2, 3, and 4 containment laboratories (with appropriate training).
- Ensures sensitive information is protected in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
- Works on extremely complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results, with demonstrated success in leading multiple scientific teams.
- Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments, while overseeing and managing the scientific or administrative activities of lower level personnel.
- Works as a strategic leader within the organization, with significant personnel, project, and budget management responsibilities across multiple projects.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts, with a reputation as an emerging leader in the field, with sustained performance and accomplishment recognized internally and externally through publications, sponsor feedback, and peer input.
- Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
- Maintains and evaluates records of analysis and reviews laboratory results, plans and reports.
- Ensures that equipment, reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
- Directs, prioritizes, schedules and provides technical expertise to staff to conduct work.
- Maintains appropriate records.
- Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.