Managing Editor, Bioinformatics
Millions of people around the world turn to SAGE's journals, books and electronic products to inform their studies with the latest research findings. With offices spanning six continents, SAGE aims to be the world's leading independent academic and professional publisher by disseminating the finest scholarship on a global scale. Join the team of talented and motivated professionals who are champions of engaged scholarship and creators of innovative and award-winning products.
SAGE has a current opening for a Managing Editor, Bioinformatics in our Thousand Oaks office.
Why should you work for SAGE’s Open Access (OA) team?
SAGE is a leading independent academic publisher, and OA is one of the fastest growing areas within the company, with a particular focus on creativity and innovation.
What we are looking for in a candidate?
A candidate that is eager to learn about or has experience in publishing, as well as an advanced degree in bioinformatics or computational biology, or in lieu of an advanced degree in bioinformatics or computational biology, has significant research experience in these areas. Further, the candidate is able to quickly pick up new information, prioritize and multi-task effectively, and is able to communicate scientific concepts clearly to a non-specialist audience.
The role includes but is not limited to the following:
- Develop and grow a list of bioinformatics-focused open access journals, specifically Bioinformatics and Biology Insights, Evolutionary Bioinformatics, Biomedical Informatics Insights, and Cancer Informatics, Proteomics Insights, Gene Regulation and Systems Biology
- Commission appropriate research papers, review articles, and other relevant content (including via recruiting Guest Editors and launching special collections).
- Oversee or assist with peer review and make recommendations to the Editor-in-Chief on whether or not to accept an article based knowledge of the topic and reviewer comments.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders (e.g., Editors, Authors, and SAGE staff) to ensure the regular and timely submission peer review, and publication of articles, as well as to ensure journals adhere to their aims and scope.
- Utilize social media, occasional travel to scientific conferences or meetings, as well as seek the advice of Editorial Board members.
- Closely monitor manuscript progress as manuscripts move through the various steps of the peer review process.
- Take steps to ensure the journal is indexed in the relevant indexes such as Web of Science to make the journal more appealing to potential authors.
- Liaise with the Editor in Chief to shape the Editorial Board, as well as provide the Editors and Editorial Board members with updates and ensure that they remain active with regard to their duties; replace/maintain faculty, as required.
- Uphold ethical standards following relevant COPE guidelines where necessary, corresponding as necessary with authors, reviewers and Editors on specific manuscripts.
- Work effectively with Marketing, Production, Commercial Sales Executives, the wider STM and OA team members and others throughout the organization.
- Work closely with other SAGE in house Editors/ Managing Editors to ensure the sharing and development of best practices.
- Maintain editorial and scientific knowledge and proficiency.
- Contribute ideas, give feedback and advise on the strategic development of the titles and other OA-related SAGE projects.
- Prepare status reports and work on ad-hoc projects/tasks as necessary.
- Advanced degree in bioinformatics or computational biology, or in lieu of an advanced degree in bioinformatics or computational biology, has significant research experience in these areas.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics and computational biology terminology and key or emerging topics such as proteomics, systems biology, gene sequencing, genomics, and epigenomics
- Demonstrated excellent English verbal and written business communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Excellent critical thinking, analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and attention-to-detail skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to effectively make presentations to internal/external groups as well as communicate clearly to nonscientific stakeholders (e.g., authors, editors, reviewers, and SAGE staff).
- Ability to follow directions, learn, and understand departmental procedures, software, and processes.
- Ability to manage time to meet deadlines and work professionally under pressure.
- Ability to work effectively in a team or independently, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple projects and effectively multi-task.
- Experience and skills in the research/solicitation and analysis of manuscripts (or papers relevant to your research area).
- Some experience in medical publishing, medical communications, the pharmaceutical industry or in biomedical research position.
- Experience in commissioning original research, review articles and commentaries across science or medical fields for peer-reviewed journals or science/medical publications.
- Familiarity with ScholarOne Manuscripts and HTML.
- Familiarity with research databases such as PubMed, Google Scholar, and Web of Science.
- Experience or familiarity with social media platforms, particularly Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Any combination equivalent to, but not limited to, the following:
- Ability to ignore ambient noise, carry on conversations with authors, editors, and others in a high-activity, noisy environment.
- Carrying, standing, driving, pulling, pushing, lifting (up to 20 pounds), climbing, twisting, reaching.
- Hearing and speaking.
- Sustained concentration using a computer screen.
- Sustained concentration in reading.
- Public speaking to individuals and groups.
- Extended reading under fluorescent lights.
- Occasional overnight out-of-town travel.
- Setting up sales booths at conferences.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed within this position description are representative of the education, skills, experience and qualifications required. Incumbents in this position must maintain absolute confidentiality with company information at all times. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to more readily perform the essential functions.
- Management reserves the right to change, rescind, add or delete the essential functions of this position at any time, with or without notice.
SAGE offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the industry with PPO medical/dental/vision insurance provided at an extremely low cost to the employee; a profit sharing 401(k) plan; healthy lifestyle reimbursement, company-paid 5-year anniversary trips to Washington, D.C., London, Singapore or Delhi; employee tuition reimbursement; textbook reimbursement for employee or family members; an on-site professional development learning forum; and much more.
Qualified applicants should present their resume, cover letter and salary history for consideration to our website at http://www.sagepublications.com/careers for more information.