Founding Dean of School of Life and Health Sciences
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (“University”) is established in accordance with the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Chinese-foreign Cooperation in Running Schools upon approval of the Ministry of Education. It inherits the educational philosophy and academic systems of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (founded in 1963 and ranked 46th in the world in the QS 2017-2018 global rankings). The University aspires to evolve into a world-class research university with strong Chinese cultural influence. It is committed to nurturing high-end talents with global perspective, Chinese tradition and social responsibility.
At present, the University offers programmes in science, engineering, economics, management, humanities and social science under 3 Schools. Its long-term goal is to enrol 11,000 domestic and international students (7,500 undergraduate students and 3,500 Masters/PhD students). The students receive the Chinese University of Hong Kong degree. The University is located at a picturesque site of Longgang District, Shenzhen, occupying an area of about one million square meters.
The University’s governance follows a system in line with international practice where the President is responsible for the management of the University under the leadership of the Governing Board. The University hires first class teaching staff from around the world, including several Nobel Prize laureates and academicians, and adopts a tenure system similar to that in North America.
The University is featured with an international learning environment, a bilingual teaching pedagogy (mostly in English), a collegiate system, general education courses, multidisciplinary programmes and a student-centred educational philosophy. The University stresses the importance of academic links and global perspective. Currently we have concluded agreements with more than 70 prestigious universities to jointly nurture undergraduate and post-graduate students.
Up to now, more than 3,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students are studying at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen. Undergraduate programmes include Finance, Professional Accountancy, Global Business Studies, Marketing and Communication, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering, Electronic Information Engineering, New Energy Science and Engineer, Bioinformatics, and Translation. Master’s programmes include Financial Engineering, Data Science, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Translation and Interpreting Studies, Simultaneous Interpreting and Supply Chain and Logistics Management. The University also offers two doctoral programmes, one in Computer and Information Engineering, and one in Biological Sciences.
In May 2018, the University has approved the establishment of a brand new School, the School of Life and Health Sciences (“School”). The first batch of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, to be launched starting from 2019, includes B.Sc. in Bioinformatics, Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Science, Biomedical Science; M.Sc./M.Phil./Ph.D. in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Pharmacology and Drug Discovery, Precision Health and Medicine. The School’s first 5-year goal is to recruit 500 undergraduate students and 300 Masters/PhD students. The School pursues excellence in learning, discovery, and innovation in life and health sciences for the benefit of human health and wellbeing.
The University now invites applications and nominations for the Founding Dean of the School of Life and Health Sciences to lead the development of this important new School.
Reporting to the Vice President (Academic), the Founding Dean will play an important role in the future success of the School. The candidate should:
- be an outstanding scholar in relevant disciplines within the field of health and life sciences with a compelling track record of academic achievement;
- be a strategic leader with a clear vision for the newly established School, who can identify the right direction and design effective strategies;
- be a forward looking person with demonstrated experience in: strategic planning for academic organizations; setting high academic standards, demonstrating a keen understanding of the policies, processes, and practices that contribute to this; faculty recruitment, training and promotion; human resource and budget management; building strong external relationships with key stakeholders, including government and industry; technology transfer and knowledge exchange;
- have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills;
- be willing and able to prioritise leadership and strategic management over his or her own research;
- understand the higher education sector and industry partners in the Asia-Pacific region, and can help the School position itself within the “Greater Bay Area” and “One Belt, One Road” initiatives;
- have demonstrated professional or personal connections to Greater China and be willing to make a long-term commitment to the University.
The Deanship appointment will be offered on a full-time contract, initially for a period of up to five years, which is renewable for a second term of up to five years. Suitable candidate will also be offered a tenured appointment at full professor level. Salary and benefits for the post will be internationally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Fringe benefits include leave, medical insurance, and accommodation at nominal rental where applicable. Subsidies from various government sponsored talent programs will also be available to eligible candidate.
Applications and nominations, together with a full application package, should be sent to: vpacademic-dean-LHS@cuhk.edu.cn. Application package includes a full CV, contacts of three referees, and personal statements in teaching, research, service and leadership.
Consideration of the applications and nominations will begin from August 1, 2018 and will continue until the post is successfully filled.
Apply for Founding Dean of School of Life and Health Sciences
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly