Research Associate II | Steven Rosen Lab
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate II | Steven Rosen Lab
A Research Associate I position is available immediately at Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope. Under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the Research Associate I performs a variety of routine and increasingly complex research experiments.
- Utilizing laboratory equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of research experiments, such as RT-PCR, microscopy, tissue culture, western blot, etc. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology; utilizing records may calculate, graph and compile data.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of materials.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master's degree in biological sciences
- 3-5 years of research/laboratory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience with Western blots, tissue culture, and microscopy preferred.
About Rosen Laboratory
Steven T. Rosen, M.D., is provost and chief scientific officer for City of Hope and a member of City of Hope's Executive Team. He also is director of the comprehensive cancer center, holds the Irell & Manella Cancer Center Director's Distinguished Chair, and is director of Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope and the Irell & Manella Graduate School of Biological Sciences.
Dr. Rosen sets the scientific direction of City of Hope, shaping the research and educational vision for the biomedical research, treatment and education institution. Working closely and collaboratively with City of Hope's scientists, clinicians and administrative leaders, he develops strategies that contribute to the organization's mission.
Dr. Rosen has published more than 400 original reports, editorials, books and book chapters. His research has been funded by the NCI, American Cancer Society, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of America and Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. Dr. Rosen also has served as an adviser for several of these organizations and on the external advisory boards of more than a dozen NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers. He is the current editor-in-chief of the textbook series "Cancer Treatment & Research."
Rosen's Laboratory studies on blood cancers, Leukemia, Lymphoma, and Multiple Myeloma. The advertised work will focus on biomarker identification and therapy targeting cutaneous T cell lymphoma (CTCL).
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
- Bachelor's degree. Masters degree preferred..
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or
- One year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to delegate when needed
- Laboratory equipment such as
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Smoke free environment
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
Protective Equip: Required
- Must use PPE as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.