Senior Director of Internal Communications
Moderna is seeking a highly collaborative communications leader to develop and implement an internal communications strategy and program to support our employees, mission, strategy and values. S/he will work with our executive team members and other leaders to ensure employees are informed and engaged as the company continues to grow and our pipeline of new mRNA medicines advances. We are seeking a candidate who is ready for their next step in their career, can thrive in a fast-paced and highly-creative environment, and can work independently and with leadership teams to drive transformation across the organization. This candidate will need to be able to both drive strategy and implement day-to-day initiatives. This role will currently be a ‘team of one' and will have their hands in all levels of work.
S/he should have prior experience developing and managing a wide range of initiatives with human resources and communications teams, including the creation of strategic internal communications frameworks, digital communications channels, and employee engagement programs that support growing businesses and dynamic cultures. The ideal candidate will also have experience working with teams on corporate social responsibility and community outreach programs, as Moderna continues to expand corporate citizenship efforts in areas where its employees are based, and beyond.
The role will be based in Cambridge, MA and will report to the Chief Corporate Affairs Officer.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Develop and lead an overall internal communications strategy and program that supports Moderna's mission, strategy and values and engages employees across multiple sites.
- Collaborate across the organization to create internal resources and communications channels, helping employees connect to our science, our business, and each other.
- Provide internal communications counsel to internal leaders across the company, offering strategic direction, message and planning. Guide and influence internal clients on communicating key business developments.
- Counsel and advise leaders on regular and consistent communication cadence to maintain and enhance employee engagement - and the appropriate channels to support that engagement.
- Partner with human resources to create and implement effective campaigns that support employee engagement, change management and recruiting. Seek opportunities to celebrate and promote internal partners' news and success stories and Moderna as a top place to work.
- Leverage in-house digital capabilities to develop and integrate multi-channel communications tools that will scale over time with the business. Evolve core tools and platforms, including existing intranet and social media resources. Develop highly measurable programs and deliver ongoing metrics around employee engagement.
- Manage town halls and other all-employee communications events, working with senior leadership on company presentations and providing communications strategy for all company-wide announcements.
- Work with internal groups to drive company education, diversity and inclusion programs, sustainability efforts, and community outreach and engagement.
- Ensure alignment between internal and external communications messaging by partnering with other communications leaders.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table
- 10-12 years' total experience, with at least 5 years in an internal communications role driving internal communications programs in-house or for a communications agency.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Personify the Moderna values and be Bold, Curious, Collaborative and Relentless.
- A deep interest in emerging science and innovation.
- A high level of initiative, curiosity, strong work ethic, creativity and the ability to balance multiple assignments.
- Ability to develop trusted relationships and counsel senior executives.
- A solution-oriented, problem-solving approach to challenges.
- Creative, collaborative, open-minded and flexible personality.
- Understanding of drug development, biology or health technology highly preferred.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Adaptable, resourceful, driven, with a strong sense of ownership and dedication to personal excellence and constant improvement.
- Bachelor's degree/Master's in communications, organizational development or related field preferred.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.