CEO, Cannabis Testing Lab
Our client is a high proficiency lab services company, positioned as a compliance partner to the legal cannabis sector. Service offerings including a mobile and physical lab, genetics, and product innovation.
We are seeking a CEO to lead the company. The candidate must have experience in the laboratory services and/or pharmaceutical industry. The CEO is responsible for leading and ensuring that the company is at the forefront of the cannabis testing sector with expertise in lab proficiency, testing processes, GMP, ISO17025, sales, brand development, presentations and capital markets. The CEO’s core responsibilities will be to drive and implement business strategy, lead the organization, grow the business and to engage effectively with staff and customers.
1. Develop and lead the business strategy and identify specific actions, accountabilities, milestones and deliverables.
· Refine vision and organizational business plan.
· Develop annual business plan including revenue targets, plan for growth in existing accounts, new customer acquisition strategy, operational requirements, resourcing needs, financial reporting and related elements of planning process.
· Establish annual revenue objective and stretch target.
· Work with staff to increase productivity, knowledge, ability in the areas of new account sales and growth, sales of emerging programs and services, profitability, business acumen, improved presentation strategies, competitive strategies, proper use and level of sales support, management of expenses and business/financial issues on contracts, as needed.
· Lead and oversee outreach to prospective customers including identification, needs assessment, tailoring service offerings to need, closing sales, etc.
· Responsibility for annual operating plan and budget in consultation with CFO
· Provide oversight and direction to lab staff via COO
· Monitor overall client, sector/services/offerings potential as well as opportunity and market and competitor activities to provide insights and feedback for business strategy.
- Monitor and understanding relevant policy changes in the external environment and discern business opportunity/impact .
- Ensure the development and maintenance of knowledge assets to protect IP. Identify and mitigate potential risks to the business.
- Oversee HR policies including: (1) planning and managing staffing and succession plans; (2) developing senior staff annual compensation plans; (3) providing leadership, development and performance management of senior staff; (4) developing and renewing the core competencies/skills required to achieve the mission; and (5) sustaining and developing the culture and enabling environment for the organization.
- Manage the Corporation image and representing the Corporation and brand externally including: (1) building the brand via public speaking and well targeted/executed marketing strategies; (2) public speaking events, on-line/public media and various channels to build profile; and (3) establishing and maintaining executive-level relationships with key customers and other stakeholders including Government
2. Lead business operations
- Develop and lead the operations strategy for business growth including all operational process for improved productivity and forecast accuracy
- Lead team resourcing including the management of direct reports
- Work with CFO to develop and manage plans for budget, sales, revenues, and human utilization for the organization; manages to desired results.
- Reviews all office performance against operational growth objectives and coordinates and manages the plans and standards. Provides reports interpreting results and approves changes in direction of plans.
- Work with CFO to review and approve budgets, cost estimates, resourcing, facility, logistics etc. and requirements to support the implementation of ISO17025, LIMS, GMP etc.
- Ensure regular feedback is provided to the Board.
- Collaborate with sales and business development to develop new initiatives and program offerings to expand the business and support the mission.
- Participate in all executive team meetings providing updates on the success metrics of operations, along with status of initiatives and challenges.
- Collaborate with other members of the executive team to drive the day-to-day operations.
- Prepare and participate in Board of Directors meetings
- Select, train and maintain qualified personnel in all positions and recommend compensation for them. Where there is a position identified by Summerhill that will have the employee work collaboratively with Scout, assist in selecting, training and maintaining as applicable and required.
- Identify training needs, initiate development of subordinates, and recommend effective professional development
- Coordinate activities of all satellite offices for greater economies and results. Seek mutual agreement on problems involving coordination.
4. Provides leadership and coaching for employees
- Provide strategic direction and support to program management team including: client management, content support, counsel and advice on development opportunities.
· Offer coaching/mentoring for all team members.
5. Act as an external ambassador for expanding the profile of the organization and actively engaging in lead generation
· The CEO will enhance the reputation as a leading provider of innovative environmental programs. This role requires strong professional presence, communication, influencing, and organization and planning skills.
- Very strong science background (e.g. previously operated/run a lab)
- Strong business acumen
- Strong executive presence
- Small/Medium size business experience
- High integrity & values
- Bias for action
- (verbal) communication skills
- Secondary Competencies
- Strong financial acumen
- Entrepreneurial acumen
- Capital markets experience & acumen
- Team building & leadership
- (written) communication skills
Apply for CEO, Cannabis Testing Lab
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly