(Contract) Accounts Payable Manager
This role is an exciting opportunity to be a critical part of the Accounting Operations team supporting a high growth organization that is radically changing the biotech industry. The Accounts Payable Manager role will report to the Director of Accounting and manages and directs the Accounts Payable team ensuring quality and efficient performance from the AP team on AP processing and customer response/satisfaction. This role is responsible for overseeing the accounts payable operations, including T&E, to maximize effectiveness and accuracy. The AP manager must be highly organized, skilled in managing cross-functional projects and procure-to-pay process improvement initiatives within set deadlines, be able to meet month-end close deadlines and comply with related internal controls to ensure a smooth AP operation. This role is a key partner with on-going collaborations with internal functions/departments and a range of external stakeholders who provide goods and services to Moderna.
We work collaboratively as a team, we boldly strive for excellence, we are constantly curious and committed to ongoing process improvements and to providing a high level of customer service, and we are relentless in our pursuit of the balance between efficiency, effectiveness, and controls and compliance.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Ensure the effective operation of the Accounts Payable team, taking a “hands-on” approach when required.
- Leads all areas of AP day-to-day process, as well as driving process change across the department and across the end-to-end process, through working and influencing cross functionally.
- Leads / manages related accounting activities including analysis of prepaids, accruals, and other related accounts.
- Manage the completion of the consolidated AP month end close process ensuring that all deadlines and cutoffs are adhered to. This includes completion of required journal entries, flux analysis and related balance sheet reconciliations.
- Ensure timely and accurate recording of financial transactions in accordance with GAAP and company policies.
- Collaborate with external audit staff for quarter-end reviews and year-end audit work.
- Lead team in continuing efforts to accelerate the accounting close process, including AP and related accounting automation projects and process improvement initiatives.
- Drives leadership from within the team for change recommendations and implementation methods or procedures to improve the efficiency of the function.
- Help develop AP performance standard measurements, monthly tracking of key metrics, organizing a team for success, integrating collaborative and customer service oriented behaviors, and controlling efficient and effective AP practices.
- Responsible for the tracking, review, and implementation of the Company's credit card program.
- Interact professionally, collaboratively but persistently, with management and other departments for invoice dispute resolution, obtaining approvals, voucher processing, and special projects.
- Assists the payables team in resolving account discrepancies by evaluating and approving investigations and resolving special cases.
- Develops, maintains and ensures ongoing compliance with SOX 404 internal control documentation and testing.
- Directs and supervises Form 1099 processing.
- Develops, implements and educates employees and management on new and/or updated policies and procedures.
- Seeks to improve processes, benchmarking to best practices and leads projects and initiatives that continuously improves the organizations operations.
- Manage and mentor team.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting and CPA preferred or equivalent experience.
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience, including AP and manufacturing industry experience, Big 4 audit experience a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of managerial experience.
- SAP or equivalent ERP system and Concur experience.
- Experience with a high-volume accounts payable environment.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical skills, team player and effective communicator.
- Able to work independently with little instruction in a highly organized manner.
- A proven track record of implementing process improvements and driving change in a growing organization
- Advanced excel skills.
- Experience with paperless AP processing using work flow software.
- Innovative and able to thrive in a high paced environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Adaptable to change.
- Proactive, responsive and timely problem solver.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A curious mindset that allows you to constantly learn and challenge the status quo
- Respect for others and a desire to work as a team. We win together.
- You drive for results and set a high bar for yourself and others. You love what you do, and it shows
- A desire to be part of a high-growth, transformational company that is Bold, Relentless, Curious, and Collaborative.
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.