Carbon Conversion Postdoctoral Scholar
Carbon Conversion Postdoctoral Scholar - 85200
Organization: BE-Biological Systems & Eng
Berkeley Lab’s Biological Systems & Engineering Division (http://biosciences.lbl.gov/divisions/bse/) has an opening for a Carbon Conversion Postdoctoral Scholar. You will be part of the Deconstruction Division at the Joint BioEnergy Institute focusing on the conversion of plant-derived sugars and aromatics to biofuels. Specifically, you will be involved in maximizing carbon conversion using genetically engineered strains of Pseudomonas putida to produce fatty-acid derived products. You will also use a variety of tools such as metabolic engineering, synthetic biology, product analysis (LC/MS, GC/MS), protein engineering, and fermentation.
What You Will Do:
- Engineer Pseudomonas putida to maximize carbon conversion from plant biomass.
- Understand and reengineer fatty acid biosynthesis in P. putida.
- Collaborate with members of the Biofuels and Bioproducts Division at JBEI to scale up biomass conversion.
- Collaborate with members of the Technology Division at JBEI to develop methods to measure metabolic flux through central metabolic pathways in P. putida.
- Assist with the development of funding proposals and preparation of manuscripts for publication.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Prepare and assist with the development of patents.
- Participate in group meetings and seminars.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed scientific logbook of all experiments performed. Ensure that others could duplicate results.
What is Required:
- Recent Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or related areas.
- Experience with metabolic engineering of bacterial hosts.
- Experience with analytical tools such as HPLC and GC.
- Experience with bioreactors.
- Ability to work with guidance of principal investigator and collaborators as well as to conduct experiments independently, maintain appropriate records and manage data.
- Experience with scientific journal writing submissions and ability to write above average reviews and articles for submission.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in non-model microbial hosts.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to write grant proposals and establish independent funding.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full time, 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will primarily be performed at Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI) — Bldg. 978, 5885 Hollis St., 4th floor, Emeryville, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=134299 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL,http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".