Medical Science Liaison, Rheumatology - Boston
Scientific Experts (SEs) are individuals who are noted for their expertise in a therapeutic area and as a result have special needs for in-depth and cutting edge information, because they design and implement novel research and educate colleagues and students. The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) program is specifically designed to meet these needs through a field-based group of medical professionals with deep content knowledge about specific disease states, Lilly and competitor compounds and current issues in the therapeutic areas they represent. In this role, you will recognize and communicate feedback and insights of strategic importance from your interactions with SEs, to better inform Lilly's strategic direction for research and commercialization. By facilitating scientific exchange between industry and the scientific community, you will have the opportunity to shape the future of healthcare.
Maintain and effectively communicate deep scientific knowledge
- Engage in continuous learning to maintain the highest level of technical expertise within the therapeutic area they represent
- Establish reputation as a reliable, trusted, resource of unbiased, accurate, up-to-date, medical and scientific knowledge requested and desired by your customers
- Act as one of the primary interfaces between Lilly medical and scientific experts to deliver the best in class customer experiences
- Answer customer questions by providing deep and advanced disease state and product information.
- Connect SEs with other Lilly resources or internal business partners as appropriate and identify possible collaborative research or external collaborations
- Synthesize complex data and effectively communicate meaningful clinical insights and unanswered customer questions that you receive from SEs to Lilly medical and cross-functional teams.
- Use creative problem solving skills and utilize internal resources effectively to execute upon solutions, as well as a principle based decision-making approach to make decisions independently or escalate them appropriately
- Cultivate internal networks and collaborate effectively across functions with an active contribution to medical planning and strategy in the affiliate
- Demonstrate strategic analysis, planning, and prioritization to maximize efficiency
- Implement and evaluate a strategic territory plan-prioritizing core MSL activity and take personal accountability for results
- Geography includes: Massachusetts, New Hamshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Maine - with the majority of time spent in the Boston market.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We're looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
- Advanced degree in health sciences (PharmD, MD, or PhD in a medically related field) required with 2-3 years of relevant clinical or therapeutic area experience in Immunology and/or Rheumatology desired. Masters or Bachelors level degree in health sciences (e.g. BSN, RPh, PA, NP) considered if 5 or more years clinical, research or industry (medical/scientific role) experience in relevant therapeutic area is present
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position
- Field based position requires ability to travel up to 80% and work up to 4 to 6 weekends a year.
- Preferred home base location is Boston, MA.
- Applicants must live in close proximity to a transport hub (airport/train station).
- Intellectual curiosity about the field of science/medicine for which they are responsible.
- Learning agility to comprehend and effectively communicate large amounts of complex scientific content in a clear and concise fashion.
- Self-directed and able to work alone in the field effectively managing multiple priorities and projects.
- Advanced presentation and computer skills with expertise in literature identification.
- Effective strategic and critical thinking in order to analyze, assess and evaluate information and interpret impact or relevance to future states.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use field-based electronic or other communication tools for all aspects of job is critical.
- Resiliency in managing complex challenges.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills, including high emotional intelligence and the ability to engage in professional relationship building and networking.
- Experience in servicing customer needs for complex information.
- Significant experience in professional networking with mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Experience in field based working environment highly valued.
- Familiarity with health systems, academic communities, medical research, and medical education process highly valued.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status