Schmidt Science Fellows, in partnership with the Rhodes Trust
The role of Program Manager, reporting to the Executive Director, involves the co-ordination and delivery of all programmatic elements - including events and logistics - as well as customer service support for the Fellows. The role will also encompass a wide range of activities supporting the Fellows and the program.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The Program Manager will:
- Play a key role in the project management of the program, including administering the work-plan and its implementation;
- Assist in planning and delivering all aspects , including program content and design, of the Global Meeting Series as well as any other events that the Program holds;
- Act in a hands-on fashion, driving the planning and execution of key program elements such as the Fellows’ nomination and selection process;
- Prepare and administer the budget, in conjunction with the Executive Director;
- Under the direction of the Executive Director and in coordination with the Chair of the Academic Board, help to galvanize universities and relevant institutions (including 50+ nominating/placement institutions and 7+ host partners in the initial year), to engage and support the fellowship in building awareness amongst high-potential PhD candidates in STEM disciplines.
- Travel to the quarterly global meeting series and other stakeholder locations as necessary
- Complete other duties as assigned.
What qualities and experience are important for a person in this role?
The Program Manager will be experienced in working on an international scale across different countries and locations. She or he will be experienced in events management and their logistics; coordinating with venues, academic institutions, travel agents, and event companies. The ability to work in a high pressure environment under tight deadlines, with accuracy and efficacy, is critical. Strong interpersonal skills are also a must.
Experience working within higher education or in a research environment in the natural sciences or computing and an interest in STEM disciplines is a plus.
What type of people is the program looking for?
The small team, based in Oxford, will have a global outlook and will operate internationally and be representative of the variety of backgrounds of the Fellows.
Individuals will need to be highly collaborative, have a ‘start-up’ mentality and be risk-positive. Strong teamwork and adaptability to numerous different and overlapping tasks will be especially important, as the day to day responsibilities are likely to be fluid in the early years.
What skills is the program looking for?
The team should have the skills and characteristics required to successfully deliver and grow a new international post-doc academic program in science, technology, engineering, and computing.
Senior team members’ experience to date will be important in order to attract the respect of applicants and other stakeholders. The team will need leadership, academic program content, project management, communications, technology, and logistics skillsets between them.
The Program Manager will possess the following skills and experience:
- Sound project management skills
- Extensive experience in managing and delivering events
- Excellent administrative skills: ensuring team procedures are adhered to; close attention to detail; overseeing database and work-plan management
- Ability to prepare and administer budgets
- Professional, service orientated and consistently providing high quality work
- Delivering what you say you will - being accessible, flexible and responsive
- Solution oriented, assisting team members as and when required - ‘all hands on deck’ mindset.
For more details please visit
How to apply
TO APPLY - Please send your curriculum vitae (not longer than 3 pages) plus covering letter (no longer than 2 pages) and the contact details of at least two referees (these will not be contacted without applicant’s permission), to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ENQUIRIES should be sent to Danai Pampiglione, HR Manager who is contactable on Mondays and Wednesdays on +44 (0) 1865 270 952 and at email@example.com