Senior Process/Chemical Engineer
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
At Merck’s campus in Elkton, Virginia, we currently have a Senior Chemical or Biochemical Engineering position available on our Technical Operations Team supporting Gardasil® Vaccine Manufacturing. The manufacturing facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains – just a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to apply their enthusiasm and technical skills as a member of a multidisciplinary team supporting the operation of pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, vaccine product manufacturing facilities.
Responsibilities may include:
- Achieving Safety, Quality, and Environmental compliance excellence in all assignments
- Managing multiple technical and capital projects and assembling and leading multidisciplinary teams across many functional areas
- Learning new processes and procedures
- Supporting and leading change control implementation
- Leading and conducting technical investigations and analyses, recommending corrective actions, and seeing them through to successful, sustainable implementation
- Writing, reviewing, improving documentation for technical and regulatory compliance excellence
- Contributing to process and equipment safety reviews
- Teaching, coaching, mentoring, and learning from team members
If you are the kind of individual who thrives on challenge and possess the technical, leadership and business, and communication skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply. Consistently cited as a great place to work, we discover, develop, manufacture and market a wide range of vaccines and medicines to address unmet medical needs. Each of our employees is joined by an extraordinary sense of purpose - bringing Merck's finest achievements to people around the world.Qualifications
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related Life Science or Engineering discipline and a minimum of 6 years of relevant industrial experience
- M.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related Life Science or Engineering discipline and a minimum of 4 years of relevant industrial experience
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biological Systems Engineering, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related Life Science or Engineering discipline.
Required Experience and Skills:
The successful candidate must have demonstrated:
- Strong problem solving skills and a hands-on approach to problem solving, with a bias toward going to see problems for oneself in the field.
- Skills and experience to manage multiple projects at a time
- Excellent technical, organizational, interpersonal, collaborative, and verbal / written communication skills are required.
- Ability to examine an issue from diverse perspectives (safety, compliance, maintenance, automation, equipment, process, and people) in order to best understand and resolve it.
- Enthusiasm, confidence and initiative - taking ability needed for continuous learning and its applications.
- A strong desire to succeed and to help others to do the same.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Working in a cGMP environment
- Chromatography and Filtration experience
- Biologics or vaccine processing
- Sterile processing
- Project Management
- Leadership roles
- Participation in regulatory agency inspections
- Project management skills and experience
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Chemical Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: None
Company Trade Name: Merck