Associate Principal Scientist, Discovery Chemistry - Separation Sciences
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck is currently seeking an exceptional scientist skilled in analytical and chromatography chemistry for a position within the Separation Sciences team, within the Discovery Chemistry Department located at our Boston, MA site. The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary, highly collaborative discovery team to analyze and purify novel medicines prepared by our medicinal chemists.
In this role, he / she will be responsible for developing the analytical methods and driving the execution of preparative compound purification in our high throughput automated environment in purification of Small Molecules, Peptides, ADC classes of molecules. The potential exists for the role to include scientific mentoring and technical training of team members and developing the technology platform in the group. In addition, the incumbent will collaborate across disciplines, to share apply the best analytical and chromatography chemistry techniques to enable continuous improvement of the capabilities within the organization. He/she will utilize innovative problem solving skills to analyze complex mixtures and develop separation methods to deliver pure material to key studies.
To accomplish the above, the successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal, collaboration and communication skills in addition to rigorous scientific thinking.Qualifications
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with a minimum of 2 years of industry experience in drug discovery setting or M.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry with a minimum of 8 years of industry experience in drug discovery setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years of industry experience in a purification lab in drug discovery.
- Experience in analytical chemistry and / or chromatography of chemical compounds.
- Experience in training and mentoring team members in analytical and chromatography chemistry in an industrial setting.
- Experience in analytical characterization and chemical compound purification including HPLC, MS, SFC.
- Experience in high throughput automation and instrumentation applied to chemical compound purification.
- High - level knowledge of informatics.
- Expert knowledge in purification of multiple classes of chemicals compounds; Small Molecules, Peptides, ADC.
- A proven track record of problem solving supported by a track record evidenced by a strong publication or patent record.
- Experience in training and mentoring team members in a relevant setting.
- Effective communication, collaboration, and leadership skills in a team environment.
- Ability to multi - task and deliver on multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Advanced knowledge of operation of standard laboratory instrumentation (e.g. liquid handlers, MS, automated chromatography, SFC, chiral chromatography, etc.), as well as demonstrated capabilities in modern methods of synthesis and analysis.
- Highly self - motivated, customer-oriented focus and an attention to detail are critical to success in this position to support cross - functional collaborations across diverse research programs.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: Laboratory chemicals necessary for drug development
Company Trade Name: Merck