Bio Processing Engineer
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Bio Processing Engineer position is available at the Merck Animal Health facility in De Soto, Kansas, located near Kansas City metropolitan area. The DeSoto facility is expanding operations to manufacturing vaccines and biologics for large and companion animals. Leveraging an experienced and innovative team environment, the key technologies at the site are biologics production using fermentation and cell culture platforms, filling and packaging.
We are seeking a highly motivated Bio process / Manufacturing Engineer to provide hands-on daily support of our existing sterile and biologics manufacturing operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for a full range of engineering support that includes media preparation, large scale fermentation and cell culture, downstream processing, formulation and sterile filling.
The typical activities of this position will include:
- Proactively determine bio-process improvements for existing equipment and processes to improve reliability and/or productivity
- Identify and troubleshoot on-going equipment and manufacturing process issues
- Design and Implement upgrades to fermentation, bioreactor and batch processes
- Assist with new equipment design and qualification, including cleaning, sterilization and manufacturing operations
- Write user requirements and specifications for new processes and process equipment
- Manage outside engineering firms for project conceptual design, cost estimating activities, construction and qualification
- Select vendors / contractors and solicit bids for project execution
- Coordinate construction activities with system owners and manage on-site contractors
- Oversee and complete regulatory and engineering documentation for projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- BS in BioProcess, Chemical, Mechanical or related Engineering
- Experience in a GMP Manufacturing Environment: Minimum of 3 years
- Knowledge / experience w/ process validation (URS, FRS, IOQ, PQ)
- Good communication and collaborative interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated Good Project Management
- Ability to drive business results and customer satisfaction
- Biotechnology manufacturing / sterile processing experience
- Good equipment / process trouble shooting skills
- Ability to work hands on / day to day with production personnel
- Demonstrated Ability to manage capital project budgets and costs
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Process Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck