Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Position Description : A highly motivated candidate is sought to join the Target Protein Design group in the Department of Biochemical Engineering and Structural Sciences at our West Point, PA discovery site. This group utilizes multidisciplinary approaches to understand protein structure, function, and dynamics of novel drug targets in preparation for their advancement into our drug discovery pipeline. The job requires the candidate to support structural biology projects spanning diverse target proteins across multiple therapeutic areas by supporting recombinant protein expression and purification and biochemical characterization. This is a basic research position that requires critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to work collaboratively with other protein and structural scientists as a member of integrated, multidisciplinary project teams. Qualifications
Education Minimum Requirement:
- M.S. in Biochemistry or related disciplines
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience in construct design and recombinant protein production with demonstrated record of successful purification and experience with diverse expression systems (e.g. mammalian, insect, bacterial).
- Excellent organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to devise protocols, document results, and prepare reports while executing on multiple projects concurrently.
- The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills and be highly motivated to work collaboratively with protein and structural scientists.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with ability to effectively present scientific findings to project teams.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in expression and purification of integral membrane protein targets for structural biology is highly desired.
- Understanding of analytical techniques, such as LC-MS, DLS, ITC, protein labeling and Tm determination.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: YES
Company Trade Name: Merck