Associate Director Global Primary Packaging Procurement
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Associate Director will support the implementation of global supply strategies across our internal and external manufacturing network. Packaging components scope includes approximately $300 MM of spend across secondary packaging (folding cartons, inserts, and labels), primary packaging (plastic bottles & closures, film & foil, aluminum tubes, bulk drums) and drug delivery systems. The Global Packaging Team works with our internal and external sites and other stakeholders globally in a fast-paced dynamic environment. Strong interest and desire to excel/develop in Supply Chain Management required.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Category Scope - Direct responsibility for a portfolio of categories and supplier relationships that are Global or International in nature. Indirectly responsible for Local and Regional categories in collaboration with operations stakeholders and Regional procurement professionals, creates and implements 1-3-5 year strategic sourcing strategies.
- Global Category Management: Leads and influences Global Category Management cross-functional teams to develop and implement strategic source plans for one or more categories of spend.
- Works pro-actively with external partners & packaging technology and commercialization group to develop innovation & platforms that support the Merck long term product pipeline strategy
- Sourcing Management - Uses the Sourcing Management Process to manage assurance of supply, quality, service, cost, innovation and regulatory compliance within Global or International category of spend, resulting in breakthrough strategies which optimize value and ensure appropriate risk management. Understands the Sourcing Management Process and how to apply required tools in the creation and implementation of source plans.
- Proactive Cost Management: develop cost models, achieves cost control, cost reduction, and cost containment targets, and adds value to area of expenditure through a strong total cost orientation.
- Market Knowledge and Insight: Uses thorough market knowledge and data analysis to gain critical insights that drive the selection of Sourcing Strategies and continuous improvement activities.
- Supplier Management and Conditioning: Responsible for building relationships with Global, International and Enterprise suppliers and managing supplier performance against business requirements using proven processes; ensures adequate inclusion of diversity suppliers in RFPs and contracts as applicable. Supports major Regional supplier relationships
- Stakeholder Management and Business Sponsorship: Ensures appropriate stakeholders are identified and managed. Seek for senior sponsorship to understands strategic business requirements at 1-3-5 year horizon. Engages assigned stakeholders and partners to define and meet or exceed business requirements and identify and manage profit plan savings targets.
- Contract Negotiation and Management: Once strategy is approved, personally leads the sourcing including RFX, RFP, negotiations and contracting for Global and International categories to put in place the right suppliers.
- BS/BA degree in Finance/Business/related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in finance, manufacturing or purchasing arena
- Minimum of 3 years of direct experience in sourcing packaging components
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Project Management demonstrating the ability to successfully complete large, complex and international projects
- Demonstrated strong problem solving, negotiation, and conflict management skills
- Drive results while dealing with ambiguity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; able to influence at all levels in the organization
- Thorough knowledge of MS -Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project, Outlook)
- Demonstrated capabilities in Sourcing & Supplier Strategies, Sourcing Methodology, Cost Optimization, Supplier Relationship Management, Negotiation Skills, Financial/Legal Aspects with Procurement, and Supplier Risk Management
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, inclusion and diplomacy in all interactions -particularly when interacting with people from different cultures/countries and all levels of management. Must be a team player and relationship builder and have the ability to interface with senior management in a professional yet courageous manner
- Demonstrated experience in leading complex analysis
- Candidate must have proven skills in prioritizing and multitasking utilizing strong organizational skills. Must possess strong attention to detail and follow up. Ability to be consistently poised under pressure and the ability to keep an objective perspective
- Strong financial and business acumen
- Strong quantitative, analytical and problem resolution skills
- Ability to lead cross -functional teams
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated competence, achievements and ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
- MBA or advanced degree and/or relevant certification
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Technical Procurement
Other Locations: Kenilworth, NJ, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck