Postdoctoral Appointee - CSE Software Methodologies
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee to focus on research into software methodologies for research to production Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) software. In this role, you will be exploring, developing, adapting, and adopting modern software engineering for CSE software. Of particular interest is how to support research to production software efforts, since much of our software starts as small team, highly speculative research that, if successful, must be transformed into software that will be used for high-consequence decisions, by many users.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Explore software productivity and sustainability metrics, development of tools and workflows
- Research and develop new methodologies, metrics, tools and best practices for CSE research software, using Agile methodologies built upon GitHub, Docker and related modern software platforms
- Publish, present and engage with the US and international communities on research topics in CSE software
- Engage with Trilinos (trilinos.org), IDEAS (ideas-productivity.org) and other software teams, at Sandia and other DOE laboratories to elicit requirements and collaboratively create methodologies that enhance productivity and sustainability for CSE research software products such as Trilinos
- Work closely with CSE software developers as well as to pursue independent research projects
- PhD, conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in computer science, software engineering, mathematics or related discipline
- Experience in software engineering as a specific research focus area
- Experience in team-based software development
- Technical publications in HPC conferences and journals, and/or released software used by applications
- Interest in the use of advanced object-oriented software engineering practices and processes (e.g., agile software and test-driven development)
- Ability to adapt theoretical software methodologies to effective approaches in a practical setting
- Object-oriented programming experience in C++, Python or other interactive software languages
- Experience developing with Git, GitHub, Docker and related software environments
- Ability to navigate diverse and complex code libraries
- Communication skills appropriate for participating in multi-disciplinary teams
The Center for Computing Research (CCR) at Sandia creates technology and solutions for many of our nation's most demanding national security challenges. The Center's portfolio spans the spectrum from fundamental research to state-of-the-art applications. Software products are essential tools and critical deliverables as a part of our work. CCR plays a large and growing role in the US and international community in the exploration, adaptation, adoption, development, deployment and dissemination of software engineering methodologies and best practices for CSE. As part of CCR, the Scalable Algorithms Department is focused on developing new algorithms and approaches to address the challenges posed by next-generation computing hardware. The department intends to use its expertise in applied mathematics and computational science to address these challenges and help define the future of computing. While mission driven and focused, the Scalable Algorithms Department performs most of its research in the public domain, which affords the top research and development professionals in the department the opportunity to publish in the open literature and effectively team with leaders at other labs, universities, and industry.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT