Professor and Head, Department of Nutritional Sciences
The Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Connecticut in Storrs (UConn) invites applications for the position of Professor and Department Head. We are seeking a dynamic and visionary individual to provide academic and administrative leadership for a highly ranked and productive department. UConn is in the midst of a transformational period of growth supported by the $1.7B Next Generation Connecticut and the $1B Bioscience Connecticut investments, guided by our Academic Plan: Path to Excellence.
The position is a 10-month, tenured, administrative appointment, and applicants must meet University requirements for appointment at the rank of Full Professor. Maintenance of a research, teaching and/or extension program is strongly encouraged.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the departmental administrative officer, the Head reports directly to the Dean. Duties will include:
- Leadership and coordination of undergraduate and graduate teaching, research and outreach programming.
- Administrative responsibilities for academic affairs, departmental personnel, budget matters and physical facilities.
- Representing and promoting the department within the college and university, as well as at the national level.
- Establishment and coordination of relationships with relevant research centers, public health organizations, industries, professional societies, alumni and the citizens of the State of Connecticut.
- Ph.D., M.D., M.D./Ph.D., or equivalent in Nutritional Sciences or related discipline.
- A record of outstanding and nationally recognized scholarship and professional activities related to teaching and research that will qualify the individual to be tenured at the rank of Professor in the Department of Nutritional Sciences.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Evidence of leadership ability with emphasis on strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prior administrative experience suited to direct an academic department engaged in teaching, research, and service activities at a major land-grant University.
- Expertise in obtaining federal research funding and maintaining a nationally recognized research program.
- Experience recruiting and retaining highly qualified graduate and undergraduate students, particularly those who are traditionally underrepresented.
The Department of Nutritional Sciences is one of eight academic units within the College of Agriculture Health and Natural Resources, and offers instructional programs leading to B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Nutritional Sciences. Its undergraduate programs include an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics. Research programs include molecular and biochemical mechanisms of nutrient action and metabolism, bioactive food components and prevention of chronic diseases, and community-based research, particularly with at-risk populations. There are excellent collaborative opportunities for integrated research. For further information, please visit our website (http://www.cag.uconn.edu/nutsci/nutsci/).
Salary is competitive and negotiable. The University provides an extensive benefits package, which includes retirement and health insurance coverage. A January 2019 start date is anticipated.
Review of applications will start July 1, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. Select "Apply" and submit the following materials via Academic Jobs Online. Provide (1) a statement of vision and leadership philosophy for the Department, (2) a curriculum vitae that includes a list of publications, grants received, and record of teaching experience and service contributions, (3) a statement addressing diversity, equity and inclusion, including vision, prior experience and recommended approaches, and (4) the names and contact information of five professional references. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2018544). Inquiries should be sent to the search committee chair, Dr. Hedley Freake, email@example.com.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org