Associate Director, Data Quality & Development
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known asMerck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with adiversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal healthproducts. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that isready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill,diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive tocreate an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part ofour global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented anddedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck is a global, research-driven pharmaceutical company dedicated to puttingpatients first. Our culture is one ofstrong ethics & integrity, diverse experiences, and a resounding passionfor improving human health.
The Scientific Stewardship team are information scientists with a passion fordata, but not just the numbers. Werecognize that data has value well beyond its initial use and our ability toleverage that data depends on our aspiration to capture data with context andaccuracy. We aim to arm our scientistswith the tools, and processes necessary to record quality data and drive better,more informed decisions.
The Associate Director, Data Quality and Development will be responsible for evaluating,defining, and driving change to overcome obstacles in creating and consuminghigh quality scientific data. Thisindividual will develop a strategy for improving data quality based onidentified gaps including applying monitoring and reporting, ensuring our datais well understood and documented, and data governance is in place to supportchanges in the future. Further, thisrole requires an understanding of the scientific needs of our organization topropose ways to enrich and leverage our data in new ways to drive insight.
This individual must possess the ability to work closelywith senior leaders and bench scientists alike - consistently championing theneed to treat Merck’s scientific data as a key asset in discovery.
· Partner with scientific colleagues foropportunity assessment,
· Evaluate current state, identify gaps andpropose solutions to enhance data offerings
· Define and document data quality standards andrequirements used to support business and compliance needs.
· Monitor, review, and assess impact of expectedand unexpected data changes to quality standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific or technical discipline (such as informatics, statistics/biostatistics).
- Minimum of five (5) years software industry experience.
- Experience using information architecture principles to overcome obstacles to making related yet otherwise disconnected data, interoperable.
- Familiarity with industry data standards, ontologies and processes .
- A dedication to solving complex problems and tackling a diversity of subject matter with a creative mind and imaginative strategies.
- Ability to quickly grasp new technological and scientific concepts and apply to data flows.
- Ability to function in a geographically distributed and culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to work in a team of multidisciplinary scientists and IT personnel, and operate effectively in a matrix environment; team player yet able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Master’s degree in a relevant scientific or technical discipline (such as informatics, genomics, biology, statistics/biostatistics).
- Domain knowledge of Pharmaceutical industry.
- Familiarity with user centered design.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Informatics IT
Other Locations: West Point, PA, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck