Shift Supervisor, Utilities/Waste Treatment
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Responsible for operational and maintenance activities required to supply utilities and waste services to the manufacturing site. Provides specific direction, coaching and guidance to an hourly, union work team. Provides oversight for multiple utilities systems simultaneously and provides direction to ancillary manufacturing and maintenance operations.
- Provides primary oversight for processes that supply utilities and industrial waste treatment service to the manufacturing site. Assists in specifying the design and installation of new process equipment. Develops and optimizes start up and standard operating procedures and troubleshoots new and existing process equipment. Ensures process is completed within prescribed operating parameters. Provides direction, coaching and guidance to an hourly work team including training and development, motivation and work assignments for utilities systems located throughout the site on a rotating shift. Serves as the on-shift technical resource for the Utilities and Waste Treatment areas. Monitors all utility processes and redirects operator efforts as required to ensure adherence to all safety, environmental, and quality compliance policies, procedures, permits and requirements as well as optimizing operating parameters to drive business performance.Responsible for supporting activities in the area of cost containment, efficiency, productivity, energy conservation and waste minimization.Responsible for the safe and environmentally correct operation of processes and equipment and the safety of personnel. Responsible for coordination and communication of needed maintenance activities in order to support continuous utility and waste services to the site. Provides direction and coordination of shift maintenance resources to ensure backshift and weekend urgent and emergency work for the entire site is effectively addressed. Administers payroll, scheduling, Company policies and Union Contracts, including first step grievance responses.Participates as a member of the Utilities staff team including participating in meeting roles and supporting team activities and goals such as continuous improvement projects, metrics, and problem solving efforts. Performs Leader Standard Work as specified by the Department.Completes other projects and tasks as assigned such as development of training materials, management of compliance samples, etc.
- Demonstrates a proven ability to integrate ideas and collaborate with others
- Solicits ideas/best practices from others and capitalizes on opportunities to work with others cross-functionally.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to support Utilities Engineers with project related tasks.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- High school diploma plus a minimum of 8 years relevant work experience OR BS in technical field plus a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in chemical/pharmaceutical manufacturing, utilities operations or related setting.
- Strong inter-personal skills and a high degree of team skills.
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple priorities and projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Working knowledge of utilities systems such as drinking water production, waste water treatment, boilers, electrical distribution, chillers, compressors, and HVAC.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Production / Maintenance
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 3
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: Will need to work with hazardous/toxic materials such as Chlorine, Ethylene Glycol, Sulfuric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, and others.
Company Trade Name: Merck