Pharmacovigilance Veterinary Technician
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
The primary purpose for this position is to perform triage on incoming technical service inquiries and complaints, determining which need to be forwarded to veterinarians for input. This position satisfies compliance requirements for handling and processing adverse drug experiences and product quality complaints, ensuring that all aspects of complaint processing are completed within specified time frames. Incumbent must develop technical expertise with the Merck Animal Health companion animal product line to answer inquiries from customers, pet owners and sales representatives
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
1. Telephone Support & Triage for Technical Inquiries and Complaint Handling – 70%
- Handling phone calls to the Technical Services 800-line, faxes, written correspondence, e-mail and website inquiries from veterinarians, pet owners, MAH and distributor sales representatives and breeders regarding questions pertaining to on-label product indications and usage and competitor product comparisons.
- Handling and processing all complaints not requiring veterinary intervention, including product quality complaints and selected categories of efficacy and adverse reaction complaints.
- Identifying trends and initiating product testing procedures to help resolve product complaints.
- Tracking all complaints requiring product testing through Global Quality and following up with the customer.
- Retrieving, processing and following-up on all product complaints submitted by our after-hours agencies.
- Assisting pharmacovigilance veterinarians in processing and following through on product complaints, including:
- Correspondence with customers/pet owners.
- Uploading correspondence/medical records into the complaint database.
- Reviewing medical records for accuracy and forwarding to PV Veterinarians.
- Reviewing compensation requests.
- Processing check requests.
- Contacting complainants for follow-up and updating the complaint database.
2. Quality Assurance associated with Product Complaints – 15%
- Serving as the primary contact for product quality issues, product testing procedures and warranty issues.
- When appropriate, initiating the return of product samples from the field for quality assurance testing, ensuring timely return of the product, forwarding samples to Global Quality and initiating return of samples for destruction when appropriate.
- Uploading quality assurance testing results into the complaint database and following up with the complainant.
3. Marketing and Sales Responsibilities 5%
- Representing Merck Animal Health at veterinary conventions or meetings.
- Attend continuing education seminars at veterinary conventions and sharing that information with intra- and interdepartmental MAH personnel.
- Contacting sales representatives on potential sales leads.
- Notifying marketing managers/directors when receiving feedback on MAH or competitive product information or trends in the veterinary marketplace.
4. Miscellaneous Responsibilities 10%
- Assist with special projects, such as diagnostic testing programs when assigned.
- Provide administrative support for the veterinary school program (if needed).
- Provide support to sales training when requested.
- Provide administrative or training support at meetings or national sales meetings.
- Provide pharmacovigilance data & reports if requested
Education Minimum Requirement:
High School diploma or equivalency. Candidate must be a graduate of an accredited Vet Tech program, or hold a Bachelor’s degree (Animal Science, Biology, or other Science degrees preferred), or have relevant work experience.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Minimum 1 year Pharmacovigilance experience and/or experience in the field of animal science.
- Must have strong computer skills including experience in Word, Excel, Outlook, and working with databases, etc.
- Must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written, interacting with various levels within the business as well as external customers.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience working with product knowledge, database fundamentals, and internal and external compliance regulations.
- Knowledge of parasiticide products within the animal health industry
- Previous experience working in a call-center or customer service preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Drug/Dvcs Sfty Survnce (NonMD)
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 3
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: NO
Company Trade Name: Merck