Territory Representative (South East Austin, TX)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Territory Representative is a key member of the field tactical team and plays a critical role in supporting Merck's customer centric business model. He/she is responsible for working in their respective territory to understand and identify veterinary clinic, and corporate account customer needs, by selling Merck Animal Health products, supporting pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, and ensuring that Merck Animal Health is viewed as bringing value and technical innovations aligned to our strategic focus the Science of Healthier Animals. In addition, the Territory Representative demonstrates a solid understanding of the resources available across Merck Animal Health and our Distribution Partners.
- Communicates about product in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customizes discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Primary point of contact for assigned customers, meet with key personnel/decision makers to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers (Owner/Practice Manager/Key Tech/Associate Vet), customer needs and identifies business opportunities.
- Develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interactions/relationship, solutions, partner involvement and potential offerings for customer resulting in sales opportunities and account sales growth of Merck Animal Health Companion Animal products and services.
- Develop territory and specific account plans for all key customers. Partners with National Account Managers, Corporate Account Team, and Distribution Field Partners to maintain strong focus on key accounts and corporate owned clinics to drive occupancy and sales growth.
- Shares learning and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs.
- Shares with other team members within the region to foster growth and development within the team.
- Analyze sales results on a monthly basis and manage expenses within budget guidelines.
- Identifies and selects programs/services available within Merck Animal Health’s available resources to address customer needs and provide education & training opportunities to accounts.
- Works with Manager, Zone Director, Marketing, Commercial Operations or Field Technical Services to develop and deliver relevant offerings that address desired customer needs
- Maintain current understanding of Merck Animal Health products, industry trends, competitor landscape, business model, key influencers/ network structure and make information available to relevant stakeholders and to influence sales trends. Able to articulate and communicate relevant customer, industry, product, and market trends appropriately through the organization.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BA/BS degree required
- Required Experience and Skills:
Minimum of 3 years of documented sales experience
- Excellent interpersonal/communication and presentation skills required
- Successful candidate must be flexible and have the ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Ability to analyze sales data, identifying trends, campaign successes and customer development opportunities
- Preferred Experience and Skills:
Minimum of 3 years of related sales experience within the Animal Health industry
Experience selling animal healthcare products and services through veterinary and/or shelter channel is preferred.
Knowledge of biological products and the ability to engage in dialogue with medical professionals is a plus.
Understanding and past experience working with distribution partners.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Direct Sales Generic MAH
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: NO
Company Trade Name: Merck