Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
The Associate Scientist will be part of a highly collaborative team working towards obtaining new cattle vaccine licenses. The candidate will work semi-independently as a member of a project team to support development and evaluation of prototype bacterial strains and vaccine platforms. The primary role of this candidate is performing laboratory activities following established procedures, technologies and methodologies as well as assisting in development of new assays. The Associate Scientist will assist in the conduct of animal trials involving cattle and laboratory animals, and has the ability to evaluate, summarize and trouble-shoot study findings. The candidate will organize and execute one or more general tasks within the department.
- Technical – Applies established procedures, technologies and methodologies to complete assignments. Detects deviations, investigates causes and suggests improvements. Supports (sub) projects by performing the development, improvement and/or transfer of new or existing products, production processes or laboratory methods and techniques upon assignment by the supervisor. Organizes, conducts and reports in draft form routine animal experiments. Acts as study investigator / supervisor or responsible scientist in routine (GLP) studies. Laboratory work involves standard bacterial titrations, bacterial fermentations, programming and operation of lyophilizers, microbiology culture techniques, preparation of media, sterilization techniques, optimizing/validating new assays (e.g. ELISA, qPCR, IFA, flow cytometry, Western blot), preparing and testing study samples, preparing vaccines, and documentation of laboratory work and results.
- (Inter)departmental – Fulfills general tasks within the organization related to safety, compliance, and laboratory maintenance. Interacts closely with fellow scientists within own and other departments.
- Supports training of Lab Technicians, trainees and new employees.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- B.S./B.A. degree in Bacteriology, Microbiology, Immunology or a related field
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Ability to conduct research project activities under supervision
- Ability to plan project activities and meet timelines
- Must have general experience with laboratory techniques
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills
- Must have good computer skills including knowledge of Word, Power Point and Excel
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with bacterial identification, growth techniques and titration assays
- Experience working with large animals in vaccine development research or related field
- Familiarity with USDA product licensure requirements
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Hazardous Materials: YES
Company Trade Name: Merck