Senior Technology Manager
Title: Senior Technology Manager (OTM Urbana)
Job Category: Academic Professional
University of Illinois System
Office of Technology Management
Senior Technology Manager
The system offices seeks a Senior Technology Manager, who is an experienced licensing professional, to initiate outreach to industry and other external parties to provoke interest in commercializing U of I System and jointly owned technology, and is well versed in the negotiation of license agreement business terms, drafting and execution. Senior Technology Managers will have a deep understanding of the technology’s developmental stage and marketing needs, and the necessary IP protection and strategy, while developing and nurturing productive relationships with U of I System faculty inventors, companies of all sizes and stages of growth, as well as corporate and venture representatives to support the U of I System entrepreneurial ecosystem. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Actively develop, manage, and promote strong relationships with faculty inventors and prospective inventors through regular contact and engagement.
2. Provide general advice and counsel to faculty and staff on technology commercialization from initial invention disclosure, screening and evaluation, intellectual property protection, proactive marketing, negotiation of licensing agreements; and related issues.
3. Support entrepreneurial initiatives and activities across university by providing guidance related to start-up company formation to interested faculty, connecting faculty with university resources within EnterpriseWorks and Research Park, and provide introductions to Venture Capital contacts.
4. Manage a portfolio of life science, biotech and healthcare technologies including highly complex technologies and issues by actively screening and evaluating disclosed technologies for intellectual property protection determination, developing appropriate marketing plan and strategy, identifying and qualifying licensees, drafting business terms for license agreements, negotiating, executing, and managing license agreements.
5. Act as liaison for the OTM for life sciences, biotech and healthcare related initiatives at university and for the U of I System administration as directed by the Director including attendance at local and national meetings as needed.
6. Responsible for marketing technologies in allocated portfolio including: independent and collaborative development and administration of marketing strategies and plans; building and managing strong industry relationships; and promoting technology-associated sponsored research relationships.
7. Develop and maintain effective working relationships within the Sponsored Programs Administration, Research Park and EnterpriseWorks, Illinois Ventures, Legal Counsel and other units across university and associated with the U of I System.
8. Ensure obligations of federal compliance, intellectual property protection, and related information needs are met by working closely and collaborating with OTM Administrative Staff on Compliance, Patenting, and Finance.
9. Develop and deliver annual Action Plan to maintain effective relationships with inventors to enhance the disclosure pipeline, and with licensees for marketing technologies.
10. Develop an annual Professional Development and Improvement Plan.
11. Train and mentor Associate Technology Managers, Technology Managers, Commercialization Analysts and other support staff as needed.
12. Participate and assist in organizing conferences, presentations and seminars conducted by the system offices, the Unit, or professional organizations.
13. Represent the Unit at a variety of meetings involving International, National, U of I System, State and local government officials and Industry and licensing related representatives.
14. Identify opportunities to serve on system offices, university, and other committees/teams as well as participate and represent OTM as requested.
15. Perform other duties appropriate for the position of a Senior Technology Manager.
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in science, engineering, business or related field with at least five years of experience as an Intellectual Property Manager or related experience in business development relationships and engagements; and at least five years’ relevant professional experience in business, academic, or government including licensing of technologies. Other requirements include: technical background in the Life Sciences arena which is aligned with the technology portfolio (licensing and technology marketing or related experience may be considered in lieu of advanced degree requirement and technical requirement); strong working knowledge of intellectual property law and industry-standard licenses including royalty rates and license structures. Evidence of completion of licensing or similar deals; ability to work independently and exercise good judgment and discretion in the performance of all work assignments; demonstrated teamwork skills in a highly complex business environment; demonstrated exceptional verbal and written and interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact with industry partners, system offices and departmental officials/staff; strong decision-making, problem solving and negotiating skills; strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to maintain strong relationships with faculty inventors and prospective inventors; good industry network and demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong industry client relationships.
Preferred qualifications include: master's, technical, or professional degree in life sciences or related science field; industry experience in a research area aligned with the technology portfolio; and advanced technical degree in an area aligned with the technology portfolio.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by May 28, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The system offices conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The system offices is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The system offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 05/28/2018