Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Under the supervision of a salaried Advisor, performs troubleshooting and repairs of plant electrical equipment including lighting, power, grounding, explosion proof devices, motor control centers, PLC’s, VFD’s, and three phase distribution systems up to 5kV. Works safely and in compliance with NFPA 70, National Electrical Code (NEC) and NFPA 70E, Electrical Safety in the Workplace, and Merck engineering standards and preferences.
Is also expected to perform secondary tasks in a related craft e.g. instrumentation, etc
- Receives oral and written instructions regarding scheduled work and performance expectations. Written instructions are in the form of maintenance repair or installation work orders, blueprints, schematic diagrams, and sketches describing the various maintenance and installation job requests.
- Installs electrical equipment such as single and three phase motors, switches, starters, transformers, lights, etc., in conformance with Merck standards and the NEC. Determines wire size, layout, conduit size, makes proper joints and connections, and selects proper overload relay coils, switches, fuses, etc.
- Diagnoses problems and repairs electrical control and power circuits, starters, AC & DC motors, 480 volt and 4160 volt switchgear, DCS, PLC's and variable frequency drives.
- Performs inspections, installations and repairs of electrical heat tracing systems and components.
- Will be expected to work compliantly in elevated spaces using approved ladder, scaffolding and lift equipment.
- Performs periodic inspections, as assigned, to maintain electrical equipment such as electrical substations, grounding networks, etc.
- Installs various types of conduit systems including bending of rigid and thinwall conduits. Selects proper fittings for explosion proof areas. Pulls wire in conduit systems and pours seals in explosion proof systems.
- Operates 480V and 4160V switchgear utilizing energized electrical work permits and appropriate PPE.
- Prepares a list of material for each job and requisitions the required material from Mechanical Stores.
- Disposes of all scrap wire and discarded parts by separating and depositing in appropriate collection areas.
Completion of a nationally qualified electrical apprenticeship programresulting in a journeyman card, or college/technical school degree inelectrical or electronics is required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
Four years field experience as part of a qualified electrical apprenticeshipprogram or a minimum of three years’ experience working in electrical field ispreferred.
Merck Cherokee (Danville, PA)is a manufacturer of beta lactam antibiotics and, as a result, candidates mustbe able to work in and around the manufacturing and laboratory areas associatedwith such chemicals.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: USW, LOCAL 10-580
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck