Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Vaccine Process Development and Commercialization (V-PDC) group within the Merck Manufacturing Division (MMD) focuses on late stage process development, technology transfer, and in-line support of vaccine products. We seek a motivated scientist/engineer to work under technical direction of a group leader to support development and licensure of novel vaccine candidates and in-line products.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Functioning as a key member of the process development team through executing lab-scale process development, in-process assay support, and process scale-up or scale-down of cell culture/fermentation (upstream) and/or purification (downstream) process unit operations.
- Functioning as a key team member to collaborate with commercial manufacturing teams to support facility start-up activities and provide on-the-floor support for drug substance manufacturing, both within the Merck network and at contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs).
- Executing assignments against accelerated, critical-path timelines in a right-first-time manner.
- Authoring technical documents to support Process Performance Qualification (PPQ) and licensure.
- Participating in technical support activities for licensed vaccines, as needed.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biology or comparable discipline
- Academic, internship, co-op, or professional experience in a laboratory setting.
- Experience with upstream lab or pilot-scale microbial or cell culture process (fermenters, bioreactors, static cell culture) and/or experience with large molecule purification (chromatography, filtration, centrifugation).
- Experience with process development in a laboratory setting.
- Experience within pilot-scale, or manufacturing environment.
- Experience authoring technical documentation to support regulatory submissions.
- Experience with large molecule commercialization (facility start-up, technology transfer).
- Experience with large molecule manufacturing and on-the-floor manufacturing support.
- Experience with large molecule assay development and execution (HPLC, UPLC, MS).
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team and execute against key commitments
- Strong problem solving and communication skills.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Process Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Biosafety level 2 organisms
Company Trade Name: Merck