Sr. Specialist Safety & Environment Air
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Providestechnical expertise, guidance and overall support in the site'scompliance with federal, state and local air quality regulations at the WestPoint site. Integrates EHS programs into daily operations toassure regulatory compliance, achieves continuous performance improvement,meeting EHS performance objectives. Partners with operations to developobjectives to achieve these goals in alignment with site business goals andvalues. Performs responsibilities andaddresses problems with limited supervision. Position focuses include air quality permitting, emissions inventory, chemicalmanagement, and other environmental regulatory topics.
1. With a deep knowledge of EHS regulations andtheir applicability coordinate, guide, review and overseeimplementation of site air quality program, training, presentations, policiesand procedures.
2. Analyze data and prepare air permitapplications for submittal to state and federal environmental agencies. Applications include RFD’s, Plan Approvals,Title V permit, and include applicable requirements from MACT, RACT, NESHAP,NSPS, NSR / PSD, air pollution control technologies, stationary andnon-stationary sources, and GHG sources as applicable for the site’s currentand future projects.
3. Calculate air emissions from avariety of industrial, pharmaceutical and research processes on site usingspreadsheets and emissions databases. Create and update applicable spreadsheets.
4. Review and analyze air permits toevaluate appropriate implementation in the field.
5. Verify compliance with regulationsand ensure all required records, reports, notifications, etc. are maintained,prepared, and/or submitted in accordance with established guidelines and/orregulatory deadlines. Recommendchanges if compliance gaps are identified. Work with stakeholders to develop solutions to issues and to developimprovements. Track implementation.
6. Responsible for periodicallyreporting metrics to site and Company management on the effectiveness of theprogram implementation and changes or improvements being implemented.
7. Participate in regulatoryinspections and internal audit processes.
8. Evaluate applicability of riskmanagement plan rule and develop and submit plan as required.
9. Prepare and submit SARA Tier II andTRI reports and emergency planning information to support the reports.
10. Analyze, interpret and distill dataand information to support submittals to regulatory agencies and to explainrequirements and best implementation practices to internal clients.
11. Execute on all aspects of company’sAir Program strategy to ensure compliance with all federal, state and localregulations, as well as Company standards.
12. Remain current with allenvironmental regulations and as they apply to our industry. Identify the environmental requirementsInterpret environmental regulations and assist in the development of siteguidelines and practices for air compliance.
13. Review processes, facilities, procedures andmanagement of change documents to assure conformance to recognized EHSregulations, standards and guidelines. Review environmentalregulatory requirements as they apply to specific projects, and work withproject engineers to ensure projects are designed and developed usingcriteria that recognize all relevant environmental requirements
14. At times direct the activities ofthird party EHS or Legal consultants to prepare necessary permit applicationsor other required studies compliance materials.
15. Provide leadership to formation and sustainedperformance of action oriented EHS committees, particularly as impacts highrisk work programs.
16. Complete hazard assessments, job safety analysis,process hazard analysis, life safety reviews, incident investigations,environmental regulatory field analysis, other environmental media reportsand evaluate execution of high risk permit activities.
17. Provide support to client groups in completingincident and near miss analysis, training, self-assessments and addressingspecific EHS concerns as they are raised.
18. Possess experience with EHS agency inspectionsand regulatory advocacy.
19. Provide guidance to other teammembers to complete work assignments and to achieve departmentgoals/objectives. May train and mentorless experienced professionals.
Education Minimum Requirement:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Chemical Engineering, Safety * & Environmental, Chemistry or similar environmentally-related discipline required.
Required Experience and Skills:
· Minimum 5 years applied professional EHS work experience, including water program compliance.
· Advanced level of proficiency in the areas of water programs, negotiating with regulatory agencies, water / waste water treatment and management, and supporting EHS agency inspections.
· Proficient in critical thinking, problem solving, communication skills, project management and MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Power Point).
· Basic level of skill with managing budgets.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
· Pennsylvania-specific permitting and environmental agency experience preferred.
· Experience in a pharmaceutical or chemical industry a plus.
· Relevant professional certification(s) preferred such as P.E., CHMM, Certified Environmental Professional.
· Experience also with waste and air programs.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully: Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: EEOC Poster EEOC GINA Supplement
Job: Env, Health & Safety Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: YES
Company Trade Name: Merck