Health System Oncology Biomarker Medical Affairs Director
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Health Systems Oncology, Medical Affairs Director (HSO-MAD), Biomarker is a diagnostic, therapeutic and disease expert who develops on-going professional relationships with healthcare decision makers within defined National Reference Laboratories, managed markets organizations, integrated delivery systems, Oncology Pathway Organizations, Oncology Group Purchasing Organizations (GPO), Medicare Administrative Contractors (MAC), and State Oncology/Hematology Societies. The HSO-MAD, Biomarker provides accurate information across the full Merck oncology biomarker and product portfolio, clinical science, health care economic information (HCEI), and quality management in a balanced and credible manner consistent with the regulatory environment and Merck’s ethical standards. Serves as a resource for the US Oncology Global Medical Affairs (OGMA) management team on strategic planning and training; and provides mentoring for other team members.
- Develops ongoing professional relationships with key decision makers in national reference laboratories, organized health systems, managed market organizations and oncology pathway organizations to ensure access to medical and scientific information on the full Merck oncology biomarker and product portfolio and areas of therapeutic interest.
- Partners with the Oncology Market Access and Oncology Key Account Management teams to develop strategic account plans; execute medical activities in alignment with agreed-upon account plans; serve as a technical resource for the account team.
- Effectively communicates and coordinates with HSO Team Leads, HSO Medical Affairs Strategy Leads (MASL), and HSO Associate Director-Medical Affairs Strategy (AD-MAS) regarding medical and scientific support biomarker needs in national reference laboratories, key affiliated organized health systems, managed market organizations and oncology pathway organization accounts.
- Serves as a resource for the US OGMA Strategic Tumor Action Teams and HSO MASL and AD-MAS on other relevant strategic planning and training.
- Attends and supports scientific and medical meetings. Prepares planned post-meeting deliverables.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- PhD (preferred disciplines: Biomedical Sciences, Cancer Biology, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Pathology, or other related discipline)
Required Experience and Skills:
- 3+ years field-based medical affairs experience
- 3+ years research experience in an academic or industry setting
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Co-authorship on manuscripts highly desirable in the areas of immunology, cancer biology, or other related disciplines
- Thorough knowledge of biomarkers/diagnostics used in oncology and how they overlay with clinical medicine, the managed market environment, disease management, and medical research
- Experience working within or supporting medical activities in organized healthcare systems allowing ability to develop peer-to-peer relationships with key decision makers.
- Demonstrated understanding of clinical oncology and/or hematology
- Demonstrated understanding of the oncology managed market environment, national reference laboratories, pharmacoeconomic principles, oncology pathway organizations, and/or medical research
- Knowledge of oncology business practices and oncology market, including quality management.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, ability to network, strong personal integrity, collaborative mindset, and a strong customer focus are necessary.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of the FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines relevant to the pharmaceutical industry
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment, and have demonstrated project leadership abilities.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs Generic Field Based ONC
Other Locations: US; Kenilworth, NJ, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: No
Company Trade Name: Merck