Associate Director, Process Chemistry R&D
Moderna is seeking an experienced Associate Director level chemist to join the Process Chemistry R&D. The individual will be responsible for process chemistry development in the area of small molecules including lipids and nucleotides in support of the Company's growing pipeline of products. The person will also be responsible for managing direct reports and coordinating efforts across multiple departments and teams internally and external to moderna.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Lead the design, planning and execution of multi-step organic syntheses, identifying and eliminating scale-up bottlenecks in order to deliver kilogram scale intermediates or final products on scale, high purity and timely fashion in support of non-GMP and GMP production.
- Work within cross-functional teams to coordinate downstream as well as parallel efforts such as development of analytical assays, physico-chemical characterization and formulation efforts.
- Provide help with identification of impurities and degradants present in drug substance by providing guidance and/or syntheses of authentic analytical standards.
- Manage associate chemists and ensure timeline adherence and project alignment to meet group and company goals.
- Communicate project updates to Moderna senior leaders, external advisors, and industry partners.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- PhD in Chemistry and minimum 8 years industry experience in small molecule process chemistry.
- Solid understanding of practices required in order to confirm to guidelines recommended by agencies that control authorization and licensing of pharmaceutical products (GMP).
- Experience leading and managing chemistry teams in a matrix organization.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
- Proven ability to absorb and analyze multi-factorial data, generate conclusions and design next steps.
- Experience working with CROs and vendors.
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written).
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.