Associate Scientist/Scientist - Molecular Biology
C3J Therapeutics is Los Angeles based biotechnology company focused on improving human health through the development of novel targeted antimicrobials utilizing two proprietary platforms – synthetic bacteriophage and antimicrobial peptides.
C3J Therapeutics is seeking an Associate Scientist/Scientist I who will support research and development. The candidate will support the overall program goals and strategy of the group which include significant laboratory activities, such as phage engineering and characterization, protein expression and preclinical evaluation of phage therapy efficacy in relevant animal models. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in bacteriophage biology, bacterial pathogenesis, molecular biology, cell biology and biochemistry. Excellent verbal, presentation, and written communication skills are essential and the capability to effectively work in a team environment is required.
- Molecular cloning and DNA/RNA analysis techniques (e.g. PCR, gel electrophoresis, nucleic acid purification, restriction digestion, ligation independent cloning, Gibson assembly, DNA synthesis)
- Familiarity with tools for molecular biology (BLAST, Geneious, CLC, Snap, sequence alignments, primer and construct design, etc.)
- Microbial cultivation and bacterial transformation/transduction
- Bacteriophage isolation, amplification, characterization and assessment of phage infection parameters
- Familiarity with methods for optimizing phage function and host recognition
- Antimicrobial susceptibility and cytotoxicity testing
- Biofilm growth and characterization
- Mammalian cell culture and transfection
- Protein expression, purification and analysis techniques (e.g. titration, Western Blot, ELISA)
- Experience with animal models of infection
Experience in one or more of the following areas are preferred:
- Working with Pseudomonas sp., Haemophilus sp, Streptococcus sp., Staphylococcus sp.
- Biochemical and/or cell-based assays relevant to virology
- Cell migration, toxicity and co-cultivation assays
- Fluorescence microscopy
- Flow cytometry experience
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Requires a Masters or PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbial Pathogenesis, Microbial Genetics, Virology or related field
- Requires a minimum of two-year relevant laboratory experience in industry or academia after PhD degree
- Biosafety level 2 experience is preferred
- Proficiency in aseptic techniques
- Detail oriented with an ability to independently drive scientific progress
- Ability to communicate results to supervisor, peers, internal and external stakeholders
- Strong experiment design, problem-solving, and data analysis skills
- Anticipate problems to minimize issues and work to troubleshoot to minimize impact on success of projects
- Manage goals within defined timeframes
- Able to effectively multitask and advance various projects simultaneously
- Supports scientists in assay development
- Strong ability to work both in a team and supervise technical personnel
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, organizational and time management skills
This is a full-time position for work in a laboratory environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required of this position with the exception of required training and possible conference or event attendance.
Position is salaried and is eligible for performance bonus. Pay is competitive and commensurate with skill set and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, vacation plan, and 401(k). Consideration for future stock option grants may be available.
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com