Associate II, Clinical Services
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
Provide basic animal husbandry, animal observations, record keeping, assisting with technical procedures, and cleaning facilities for a variety of species including cattle, swine, horses, and dogs. This position will involve work primarily with swine although involvement with other species will occur as well.
Our work involves 365 days per year of animal work and responsibility. As such, a rotational weekend/holiday schedule is required. Accommodation through flex time for coverage of weekends/holidays is offered as workload permits. This position involves routine indoor/outdoor exposure on a daily basis, potential travel between facilities, on-call status for animal care, and the potential for overtime.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide basic animal husbandry, i.e., feed, water, care, sanitation, socialization. Observations of test animals for adverse reactions.
- Cleaning and disinfection of animal units after an experiment is conducted. This includes initial cleaning, disinfecting, changing filters and power washing of the units.
- Support Animal Services and Research & Development personnel by assisting with technical procedures on animals, i.e., bleeding, restraining and inoculation. This includes collection of blood, nasal swabs and fecal sampling. Euthanasia of animals for collection of tissue by Attending Veterinarian and/or Project Leaders. Necropsy of animals for project leaders to evaluate lesions, tissue samples and disease.
- Keep accurate records on animals involved in studies. Contact Attending Veterinarian, Manager or Supervisor if animals show abnormal behavior. Review animal protocol within two weeks prior to initiation of the animal studies.
- Stock animal rooms, identify animals, i.e., tagging, placement of animals in proper facility
Education Minimum Requirement:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Experience working with swine is required.
- Basic knowledge of animal husbandry, health, and welfare for swine is required.
- Ability to perform physical work (e.g. lifting 50 pounds to shoulder height).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain basic records with a high level of attention to detail.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Higher education is desirable (e.g. Bachelor’s of Science in applicable degree field such as Animal Science).
- Experience working with relevant species (cattle, swine, horses, and dogs) in an animal research setting is preferred.
- Basic knowledge of animal husbandry, health, and welfare for cattle, horses, and dogs in addition to swine is preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Laboratory Animal Services
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Hazardous Materials: Yes/ Bleach, Virkon, Various experimental vaccines and challenge strains of virus/bacteria
Company Trade Name: Merck