TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
Data science, machine learning and quantum computing are fast growing areas in research and industry, and may even mark the beginning of the next industrial revolution. In line with our Vision and Mission, TRIUMF is establishing a data science platform and we are currently accepting applications for an experienced professional to take a lead role in this project. In this role, you will set up and maintain a machine learning development platform, and organize hands-on training sessions and workshops where state of the art machine learning algorithms can be learned and shared amongst research groups. You will provide support for the overall TRIUMF researcher community in their data science needs and will follow recent trends in big data applications and quantum computing. You will also connect to data science communities at our member universities and Compute Canada, and will foster industry connections in collaboration with TRIUMF Innovations.
This position is offered initially for a 1-year term with the possibility of extension, and other areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Setting up and maintaining a data science development platform, using one of a mixture of the following: setting up a local CPU&GPU cluster, utilizing Compute Canada resources, using resources from general cloud services
- Writing documentation and manuals on the machine learning techniques supported on the development platform for scientific users
- Supporting researchers in areas such as complex code development, optimizing performance of programs, parallelizing programs, and application support
- Staying connected with the latest developments in research and industry
- Providing training to TRIUMF scientific users, staff, postdocs and students
As our ideal candidate, you have expert knowledge in state of the art machine learning techniques and a demonstrated scientific research record in using them. Your other skills and qualifications include:
- The ability to represent TRIUMF’s data science initiative in science and business meetings with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Domain knowledge in at least one of TRIUMF’s scientific fields, and previous experience in scientific computing
- The ability to work with groups across disciplines, and effectively train users on relevant areas of data science
- PhD in the natural sciences or computer science
TRIUMF offers a creative, diverse and inclusive team environment, located on the South campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC.
This term positions offers attractive health benefits, a competitive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
All qualified applicants will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 642
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Review of applications will begin June 3, 2018, but the position will remain open until filled.