Associate Director, Research Software Product Manager
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Information Technology organization partners with colleagues across the business to help serve our patients and customers around the world. Ours is a high energy team of dynamic, innovative individuals dedicated to advancing Merck’s contribution to global medical innovation by leveraging information and technology to efficiently advance the business by driving revenue and productivity.
Merck is a global, research-driven pharmaceutical company dedicated to putting patients first. Our culture is one of strong ethics & integrity, diverse experiences, and a resounding passion for improving human health.
This role will focus on the needs of scientists consuming data for decision making and analytics. Data consumption includes data integration, reporting, analytics, decision support, and knowledge capture. You will define market problems based on your industry knowledge and your contact with scientists across functions in MRL and then guide development of solutions. You must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy; a big-picture vision with the ability to dive into the weeds, and the drive to make that vision a reality. You must enjoy spending time in the lab and with technology alike. You must be able to understand scientific problems and translate those needs for the technical team while prioritizing tasks to ensure the introduction and ongoing enhancement of solutions. Success will be the acceptance and adoption of these new solutions by the scientists targeted for each release.
You must be able to communicate with bench scientists to VPs. You will work with an engineering counterpart to define requirements and user expectations. You will champion user needs in the development of strategies and implementation of software, processes, and culture in our next generation research labs at MRL.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Managing the product life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities.
- Specifying market requirements for current and future products through close partnership with MRL scientists.
- Supporting the adoption and change management plan.
- Analyzing potential ISV partner relationships for the solution(s).
Position can be located in Boston, New Jersey or West Point
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in a relevant scientific or technical discipline (such as informatics, genomics, biology, statistics/biostatistics)
- Minimum of six (6) years software industry experience.
- Minimum of four (4) years serving as a product owner and/or of software marketing/product management experience.
- Experience working in an Agile development team.
- Domain knowledge of Pharmaceutical industry.
- Experience enforcing/implementing information architecture principles valuable in making related yet otherwise disconnected data, interoperable and understandable.
- A dedication to solving complex problems and tackling a diversity of subject matter with a creative mind and imaginative strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong, trust based, collaborative relationships to drive change within all levels of a large, diverse organization.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work based on user need, business value, and return on investment.
- Ability to quickly grasp new technological and scientific concepts and convey their value to clients and collaborators.
- Ability to function in a geographically distributed, culturally diverse environment with both internal and external employees.
- Ability to work in a team of multidisciplinary scientists and IT personnel, and operate effectively in a matrix environment; team player yet able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Demonstrable knowledge of problems facing scientists working a drug discovery lab.
- Experience in applying change management concepts in a cross functional group.
- Familiarity with user centered design.
- Experience with TIBCO Spotfire or similar.
- Pragmatic Marketing Certification.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Informatics IT
Other Locations: NJ, US; West Point, PA, US
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck