US Oncology Global Medical Affairs Content & Training Director
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The US Medical Affairs (USMA) Content Director position is a core function within USMA and supports the achievement of our scientific and medical strategies. Specifically, the MACD will directly collaborate with the Medical Affairs Strategy Lead (MASL) in terms of content development and project management in order to supply the Medical Affairs Directors (MADs) with approved materials for medical and scientific training and for use with customers (external scientific leaders and key decision makers) to help drive the medical affairs plan (MAP). The MACD must possess subject matter expertise, project management proficiency, persuasive skills, and the ability to lead without direct authority over a continuum of stakeholders at varying band levels to ensure that the practice of meaningful and collaborative scientific exchange that results in trust and value for Merck from the perspective of our Scientific Leaders (SL’s) and Key Decision Makers (KDMs).
Drive creation, review and approval process of Medical Affairs (MA) materials as the strategic content partner of the MA Strategy Lead (MASL).
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Create and develop SL/KDM customer education tools required to drive execution of the MA Plan
- Create and develop MA training resources
- Engage with External Agencies for MA material creation and optimization
- Attain proficiency in Zinc (the global review and approval tool for promotional materials) and Vault (approval tool for MA) and have a clear understanding of the Promotional Review Team (PRT).
- Work with Medical Affairs Project Managers (MAPM) to secure appropriate review time on PRT agenda
- Help drive the creation of the Regional Medical Affairs Plan (RMAP) confirming input from ad boards/EIFs, congresses, brand teams, and external interactions
- Engage directly and independently in high level communications in writing, on the phone and face to face with internal stakeholders
- Adhere to the compliance and regulatory procedures, working closely with Global Compliance and Legal
- Actively engage with Global Medical Affairs (GMA), Legal, Compliance, Brand Teams and other functional leaders to recommend solutions to enhance our reputation with external scientific leaders
- Regional MA Team (RMAT) coordination, agenda creation, meeting notes and follow-up with MASLs
- Creation and dissemination of weekly updates
- Doctoral Degree (e.g., MD, Ph.D, or PharmD)
- Minimum of 3 years relevant therapeutic area(s) experience
Required Experience and Skills:
- Deep therapeutic competency in Oncology; stays abreast of trends and new information in the therapeutic/translational science area
- Medical Affairs experience/knowledge
- Experience and success in cross-functional leadership and teamwork
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Experience creating MSL training and customer engagement resources/content
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and execute strategy
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Experience in the biopharmaceuticals industry (Minimum of 1 year)
- Health Systems/ManagedCare experience/knowledge
- Pharmaceuticals market knowledge
- Basic understanding of Merck’s Commercial Material Systems & Processes, i.e. ZINC and PRT
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs Generic ONC
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck