Senior Scientist, Research Science
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated and accomplished scientist to join our Translational Imaging Biomarkers team. This scientist will be part of a team dedicated to discovering and developing novel PET and SPECT agents across multiple therapeutics areas.
- Develop, optimize, and implement in vitro and tissue-based assays to screen and validate PET and SPECT agents using radioligand binding assays. If needed, perform standard biochemical, cellular and molecular techniques and assist in tissue preparation and extraction from preclinical animal models.
- Generate reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Interpret results and draw conclusions from own multistage experiments and suggest, design and pursue relevant experiments that further project goals.
- Understand relevant scientific literature and apply theoretical framework to solving problems.
- Independently schedule and prioritize workload to manage several tasks simultaneously and identify / utilize resources outside of own group.
- Efficiently organize and present scientific plans and data at project team meetings.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary research team.
- Degree in biology, pharmacology, radiopharmaceutical sciences or related field plus relevant work experience in the area of radiopharmaceutical discovery: Ph.D. and at least one year relevant work experience -OR Master’s degree and at least 3 years of relevant work experience or Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of relevant work experience.
- Design, optimization, and implementation of radioligand binding experiments in tissue homogenate.
- Design, optimization, and implementation of autoradiography experiments on tissue slices.
- Sectioning of frozen tissue for autoradiography experiments.
- Analysis and interpretation of data from in vitro binding experiments.
- Ability to independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments.
- Proven track record of generating publication quality data and contributing to manuscript or patent preparation.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills and keen ability to engage internal and external team members in collaborative research.
- Ability to learn quickly on the job through mentoring and action.
- Self-motivated and resourceful with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to independently manage workflow to see projects through from start to completion.
- Autoradiography and homogenate binding studies for neuroscience PET tracer discovery applications.
- Small animal handling and tissue preparation for further evaluation.
- Experience with molecular biology assays such as Western blot, ELISA, etc.
- Immunohistochemistry and/or immunofluorescence staining experience.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Research Science Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck