2018 MRL Data Scientist Intern - Boston
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck Research Lab is currently recruiting for a summer intern within the Center for Observational and Real-world Evidence (CORE). The intern position will require skills in data science. The intern will have the opportunity to apply their data science skills to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of healthcare.
The Data Strategy, Platforms, and Innovation team is a Data Sciences unit within the Center for Observational and Real-world Evidence. The unit has a number of projects for a data scientist that focus on optimizing patient access and outcomes within a value-based healthcare system. The data science intern will have the opportunity to research, design, implement and validate cutting-edge algorithms to analyze and visualize diverse sources of data to achieve targeted outcomes, and participate in all phases of projects, including ideation, data discovery and preparation, data analytics, and assessing options and developing communications for recommendations. Project selection will be aligned with the intern’s training, expertise, and professional development interests.
Responsibilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Identify, evaluate and partner with novel health data and technology opportunities to generate differentiated research and real-world evidence in a variety of disease areas (e.g. using claims and EMR data).
- Work cross-functionally across the enterprise to understand and support the use of real world data assets (EMR, claims, phenotypic data, etc.) and to enhance research evidence generation.
- Advance a data science strategy, culture and capabilities within CORE and the broader enterprise by working across technical and strategic groups in both the commercial and R&D organization.
- Coordinate and execute day to day activities with external partner and internal stakeholders.
- Facilitate execution of contracts, budget negotiations and research programs with partner organizations.
- Ensure approaches are in full compliance with all legal, compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Develop communications for internal and external engagements.
This is a paid internship targeted to start in May/June 2018 to August 2018.
Applicants should have an interest in supporting human health and drug discovery, and have the ability to compare and contrast results from various methodologies, and recommend the best techniques. If you are the kind of individual who thrives on challenge and possesses the technical, leadership and business skills that are of value to our business, we invite you to apply.A letter of reference from a professor is highly recommended; you may attach it in the same section of the profile as your resume.
- Knowledge in advanced analytics and machine learning techniques. This includes expertise in analytics platforms such as Matlab, R, Python; research experience in analyzing big datasets.
- Experience working with longitudinal real world data assets (e.g., claims, electronic medical records, genomic data, consumer data, social media data, wearables) in healthcare.
- Understanding of business processes in one or more of discovery, research, clinical, commercial, regulatory or safety domains.
- An understanding of the payment reform or payer-provider structures.
- Completed at least two semesters of graduate study by May 31, 2018.
- Pursuing a master’s or PhD program.
- Strong candidates in undergraduate programs will also be considered.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Administrative Svcs Generic
Employee Status: Temporary
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck