US Medical Affairs Strategy Lead, Neuroscience
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
This leader will provide strong matrix leadership for a high performing cross-functional medical team in developing and executing the US Medical Affairs strategy for assets in development or marketed products. The leader should also be focused on aligning all internal parties on Medical Benefit-Risk Evidence based positions and deeply understanding the patient journey and applying critical insights into determining the medical needs and strategy. This role will also provide strategic medical input into brand strategies.
The US RDMA holds primary responsibility for the adaptation of the Global Medical Affairs Strategy& Plans for their assigned assets to the US market. The US RDMA leads the US Medical Affairs Team (MAT) to establish the medical strategy and ensure execution of planned medical tactics. In addition, the US RDMA contributes to and is a valued co-strategist on cross-functional teams, specifically US Brand Teams, VEST teams, and assigned Product Development sub teams. The US RDMA demonstrates influence in the external scientific community via peer-to-peer engagement with top scientific leaders and executes Expert Input Forums to remain on the leading edge of therapeutic and patient care advances.
Asset Management & Business Leadership
- Consolidate actionable medical insights from US, translate into Medical Affairs priorities and strategies, including research, data analysis, scientific communication, education, and other tactics and solutions that improve patient outcomes and enhance access in the US. RDMA is responsible for collaborating with HS MASL in developing the TA IDS Strategy.
- Contribute substantively to and be a valued co-strategist on asset cross-functional meetings: GMAT, US Franchise Teams, assigned PDT Sub teams, and Clinical, Value-Evidence and Commercial Product Development Sub teams
- Lead US Medical Affairs Team (USMAT) and Functional Team meetings for assigned asset(s).
- Ensure these are scientifically solid and strategically aligned.
- Support execution of and quickly adapt portfolio of tactics to business realities (i.e. prompt deployment of new information to the field medical staff, identify data analysis needs and publication needs)
- May act as consultant/liaison with other corporations/partners when working under licensing agreements and/or in the evaluation of new business development opportunities. Maintains an up-to-date analysis of competitor product information
Scientific & Technical Leadership
- Contribute the US perspective into the development of the Global Medical Affairs Plan (GMAP)
- Communicates both scientific and business needs credibly and effectively across a variety of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Contributions through GMA into MISP and Sponsored Protocol Review Committees
- Build trust with external scientific community through peer-to-peer interactions, research and educational collaborations, scientific societies and health organizations, publications, or other.
- Provide therapeutic/functional training to assigned teams
- Participate in and contribute significantly to internal or external trade, professional society, or quality organizations, and academic or regulatory working teams
- Lead US advisory boards and expert input forums to inform company strategy.
Position Qualifications: (please provide below)
Education Minimum Requirement:
- MD, PhD or PharmD is required; recognized expertise through 5+ yrs. clinical and/or research experience
- 4+ years pharmaceutical (or related) industry experience with proven track record of contribution to medical, clinical or commercial strategies
Required Experience and Skills:
- Skills (include specific skill levels required to apply Merck Leadership Principles)
- Strategic thinking, as demonstrated by a history of developing Medical Affairs Plans and Strategies that address asset value proposition, and clinical and value evidence.
- Customer interaction experience as evidenced by having a network of scientific leaders and successful interactions with key stakeholders (e.g., public groups, government officials, medical professional organizations, scientific leaders) in therapy area(s)
- Proven ability to effectively influence company decisions
- Proven ability to effectively communicate information at management level, and/or with public groups and to scientific leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication (written as well as oral) and results oriented project management skills.
- Strong prioritization skills and ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- In a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate across divisions and functions
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Leadership Skills - Team oriented with the confidence, maturity and integrity to work effectively as a member of an innovative global pharmaceutical organization to break down any silos and champion effective communication across the organization. Self-directed with strong initiative with a high level of self-awareness to work effectively with others, both scientifically and from a business perspective.
- Problem Solving Skills - Brings a high level of intelligence and curiosity to work. Able to apply mature business judgment in making decisions. Creatively and effectively challenges the thinking of others. Capable and effective in negotiations. Able to see the cultural and personal implications of decisions and plan for them.
- Influencing Skills - Able to establish rapport, value and respect within a complex and highly technical environment. Able to convey ideas and influence directly and indirectly. Able to initiate and effectively lead change efforts. Clearly knows the meaning of teamwork and accountability.
- Interpersonal Skills - Able to establish and build critical working relationships across the organization and with alliance partners. Strong personal credibility and communication skills. Comfortable and capable in a variety of cultures and skilled in working in an entrepreneurial and driven culture. Stable, mature personality with high emotional intelligence is critical for this role.
- Strategic Thinking/Business Acumen - Able to demonstrate a high level of strategic thinking and business acumen within a strong and well-educated group in order to effectively manage internal and external relationships and gain credibility in the role.
- Results and Action Oriented - Driven to excel and capable of inspiring others to excellence as well. Able to envision a winning future for the organization and then help turn the vision into reality through hands-on action. Accepts the accountability for results of the team and provides clear direction with input from others.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs - MD
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck