Organizational Change Specialist
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Information Technology organization partners with colleagues across the business to help serve our patients and customers around the world. Ours is a high energy team of dynamic, innovative individuals dedicated to advancing Merck’s contribution to global medical innovation by leveraging information and technology to efficiently advance the business by driving revenue and productivity.
On its path to becoming the best healthcare company in the world, Merck is transforming all aspects of our business and culture. We will do this by driving strategic organizational alignment and being more customer-centric. IT plays a pivotal role in Merck's transformation. There is unprecedented demand for enterprise information and technology coming from new markets, new products and new divisions. We are in the process of shifting our agenda from one enabling bottom line to top line growth; with a focus on revenue-generating services/products and solutions; and technology causing disruptive change in industry profit pools. Moreover, this transformative period occurs when most IT budgets are being consumed with running the business, pinching the resources available for innovation. The challenge is shifting from implementation to innovation on a lower base of investment. This shift will be supported in part through strategy realization with focus on managing strategic intent, operating model simplicity, workforce and workforce planning, culture, and change management.
The Position (P3, Organizational Change Specialist)
The primary focus will be creating and implementing change management plans that minimize employee resistance and maximize employee engagement. The Organizational Change Specialist will work closely with the Organizational Change Management Lead and key business stakeholders to drive faster adoption, greater utilization and higher proficiency on the changes impacting employees in the organization to achieve desired business results.
The Change Specialist will have to work though many others in the organization to succeed. This role will act as a coach for business leaders in helping them fulfill the role of change sponsor as well as support project teams in integrating change management activities into their project plans. This role is global in nature, working closely with business leaders.
This role will apply change management processes and tools to support adoption of the changes required by various projects or initiatives.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
- Lead change program for one or more projects.
- Engage and manage stakeholder expectations.
- Assess impact and business implications.
- Design and deploy change interventions to achieve desired outcomes.
- Collaborate with training and communication specialists to design solutions.
- Consult and coach project teams to enable change.
- Identify, analyze and prepare risk mitigation tactics.
- Manage change management project plan.
- Evaluate and ensure user readiness.
- Monitor change progress.
- Consult and coach project teams.
- Support development of internal change capability.
- Support and engage business leaders to lead change.
- Support organizational design and definition of roles and responsibilities.
- Support the development and implementation of the near- and long-term strategy roadmap.
- Support the development of workforce and workplace plans in support of strategy.
- Support innovation as a path to breakthrough thinking.
- BS/BA in relevant business or technical field with focus on Org Development / Change Management.
- MBA highly desired.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with large cross functional teams driving strategic change.
- A solid understanding of how people go through a change and the change process.
- Ability to identify, analyze and prepare risk mitigation tactics.
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal; able to craft clear and appropriate written communication for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to engage and listen attentively at various organizational levels, extract information and discern pain points.
- Ability to clearly articulate messages to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships.
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal.
- Flexible and adaptable; able to thrive in ambiguous situations.
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools and phases of the project lifecycle.
- Adept at managing diverse perspectives across multiple stakeholders and communities.
- Ability to simplify complex information to enable understanding, commitment, and alignment.
- Emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills to develop relationships, influence perceptions and facilitate change without direct reporting authority.
- Problem solving and root cause identification skills.
- Experience with health care, consulting or cross-industry exposure.
- Ability to recognize when simplification is required to enable insights and to drive action.
- Able to gather various points of view, rather than developing solutions independently.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information and translate that information into key “take-aways” that are impactful to the organization.
- Strong business acumen, and easy rapport with business leaders.
- Presence and ability to influence on issues impacting the core business.
- Organizational savvy; leveraging social network to escape hierarchy.
- Courage and candor, ability to build sound arguments for resolution.
- Proven experience at creating and fostering a collaborative atmosphere.
- Focused on outcomes (moving the business forward).
- Work with a sense of urgency, tenacious execution, meeting timelines and deliverables.
- Trusted agent, acts with integrity.
- Leads with ideas, evidence and examples derived by experimentation.
- Ability to embrace, champion and lead change.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Business Consulting
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck