Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Merck's West Point, PA site has multiple Operations Manager openings across 2nd, 3rd and Rotating shifts.
The Manager is the supervisor for a number of individual contributors across one or more shifts.
- Typically, coordinates and supervises the daily activities of individual contributors
- Sets priorities for the team to ensure task completion; coordinates work activities with other supervisors
- Decisions are guided by policies, procedure and business plan; receives guidance and oversight from Operations Associate Director and Director
- Interprets client and/or customer needs and assesses requirements
- Applies supervisory skills to improve efficiency and accomplish operational objectives within own unit
- Identifies and resolves standard day to day quality, technical, and operational problems within own unit
- Sets priorities for unit to meet daily deadlines; develops plans to meet short-term objectives
- Works within budgetary/financial objectives set by Director
- Makes decisions – guided by policies and standard operating procedures – that impact the efficiency and effectiveness of own unit
- Compliance – Responsible for creating and sustaining a culture that ensures that compliance (Safety, Environment, cGMP, etc.) are imperatives for the business. Responsible for establishing a Right First Time culture by reducing waste and constantly driving continuous improvement. Responsible to review and approve compliance documents, as per procedures or need.
- Supply – Support Tier. Exercise judgement and decision making to ensure quality product is reliably produced while managing cost. Responsible for Shift(s) supply performance metrics (Schedule Adherence, Release on Time, Customer service performance, Product Lead Time, etc.).
- Continuous Improvement – Accountable for developing a Merck Production System (MPS) and continuous improvement culture while achieving MPS Targets and business results for the Shift(s). Develop strategic initiatives related to the manufacturing process, equipment and human resources in support of long range operating plans. Report Shift(s) monthly metrics and any action plans to address gaps to the Associate Director and/or Director. Identify, prioritize and champion improvement initiatives to improve process efficiency, cycle time, and yield, reduce process variability and eliminate waste.
- Financial Stewardship – Accountable for meeting the Shift(s) have business acumen and understand how they may impact business finances.
- People Management – Responsible for creating and sustaining a highly engaged workforce through utilization of Merck Leadership Behaviors and Inclusion. Provide coaching on professional development and career paths. Provide timely feedback and performance evaluations for direct reports after obtaining the relevant input and evaluation. Provide feedback and input on performance evaluations for indirect staff. Support Talent Management.
- Direct, coordinate; provide guidance and counseling to group leaders to assure optimum quality and quantity of finished products.
- Keep all team members informed on current policies and procedures, and all other plant communications.
- Enforce all prescribed safety rules and regulations and take prompt corrective action concerning potential safety hazards
- Provide leadership in establishing and maintaining a high efficiency and productivity level from the team members, while maintaining a focus on Safety First and Quality Always.
- 1Identify root causes of manufacturing issues and implement corrective action to minimize downtime with a focus on Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost, in that order.
- Actively develop members to obtain maximum potential
- Support and lead/participate in the Hoshin process and advocate for, and continually strive to achieve, our Vision
- Ability to develop and lead others
- Ability to be flexible and understand risk
- Continuous improvement
- Conflict resolution
- Leadership style – adaptive; high performance coaching; servant leader
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Science, Engineering or another technical field
- Minimum (4) years’ experience in a functional area, such as operations Management, Quality, Technical Operations, Technology, Engineering, Maintenance, and/or Supply Chain
- Must be willing and able to work on one of the following shifts, 2nd, 3rd or a rotating shift, which may include weekends
- Minimum (2) years’ experience in relevant manufacturing or processing (asceptic/sterile, bulk, solid oral dosage, packaging, etc.)
- Minimum (2) years’ experience in heavily regulated industry (ex; FDA, military, nuclear and pertro-chemical)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Lean
- Demonstrated experience of interacting with site, divisional or regulatory audits
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Manuf./Operations Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck