VMF Operations Coach (Night Shift)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
This is a night shift position, 12 hour (6:00pm - 6:00am)rotation (2-2-3).
The role of Operations Coach at Merck's Durham facility is amanufacturing leadership role. The individual in this role must providedirection, coaching, and technical expertise to operations personnelresponsible for the vaccine manufacturing processes. This individual mustactively manage their assigned team to reliably support customer demand(including employee development, routine coaching sessions, recognition, andperformance management). Additionally, they must become proficient in the useof manufacturing systems and knowledgeable of site procedures in order toresolve process/equipment issues, minimize downtime, and ensure productquality.
Employee Development / People Management:
- Hire,develop, motivate, and manage a team to ensure reliable manufacturing processexecution
- Assignyearly performance objectives for the team in alignment with department andsite goals
- Provideregular feedback and coaching to employees on work performance
- Provideleadership to the team as needed based on the team’s capabilities and maturity
Process Execution / Continuous Improvement:
- Provide aleadership presence on the manufacturing floor
- Championstandard work to drive consistent use of best practices across teams
- Regularlyhelp the team troubleshoot issues to minimize downtime and maintain productquality
- Identifyopportunities to improve the process (e.g. cycle times, ease of execution,reliability)
- Supportwork as needed to implement improvements (e.g. scheduling, staffing, protocolexecution)
- Coachteam members in executing smaller improvement projects in their operationalarea
- RepresentOperations on project teams as needed
- Lead andsupport daily meetings to facilitate flow of information up/down through theorganization
- Holdregular team meetings to cascade information and collect team feedback
- Provideclear consistent communication from shift to shift
- Escalateissues as needed to ensure the right support/awareness is given to issues asthey arise
- Serve asan Subject Matter Expert during tours to provide area/process overviewinformation to visitors/auditors upon request
Quality & Safety Compliance:
- Fosterstrong safety culture on the team through actions, coaching, and prioritization
- Coachindividuals when reporting safety issues and completing corrective/preventativeactions
- Driveculture of compliance through actions, consistent quality-driven decisionmaking, and coaching of the team (e.g. documentation, housekeeping, area 5S,etc.)
- Participatein safety/regulatory audits (i.e. tours, topic discussion)
- Coach theteam to ensure inventory transactions are complete, timely, and accurate
- Manageteam staffing and overtime to support customer demand while meeting budgettargets
- Recognizeand communicate opportunities for cost savings
Education Minimum Requirement:
Required Experience and Skills:
Preferred Experience and Skills:
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Manuf./Operations Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 3
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: None
Company Trade Name: Merck