Research Associate/Engineer I, Process Development
Moderna Therapeutics is seeking a Research Associate or an Engineer to join the Process Development team for a position based in Cambridge, MA. The candidate will work under supervision to develop fermentation and purification processes for plasmid DNA and enzymes. The incumbent with work closely with members of molecular biology, cell line development, mRNA process development, and analytical development teams to optimize the upstream and downstream unit operations and deliver high quality raw materials for mRNA synthesis. The job requires a good understanding of fundamental principles of bioprocess design, biochemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology. Hands-on experience with cloning, cell culture, lysis, column chromatography and membrane separations is required. Experience with Technology Transfer, authoring batch records and SOPs is preferred. The individual in this role will be a motivated scientist or engineer with excellent work ethic, problem-solving skills, and a passion for hands-on technical work. The candidate will have a B.S. in Chemical Engineering or a related field, with 1-3 years of relevant industry experience.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Transfection, sub-cloning and seeding bacterial cultures
- Optimizing growth conditions in shake flasks and bioreactors
- Development of conditions for cell separation and clarification of lysates
- Chromatographic purification of plasmid DNA and enzymes Using AKTA FPLC systems
- Optimization of the purification process
- Scale-up of the upstream and downstream unit operations
- Development of Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF) unit operations
- High-throughput DOE studies and data analysis using statistical methods
- Routine analytical characterization of intermediates using HPLC/UPLC, SDS-PAGE and agarose gels, UV-Vis spectrophotometry
- Optimization of enzymatic reaction steps
- Timely delivery of critical raw materials to project teams
- Tech transfer to the Pilot and GMP facilities
- A thorough documentation record
- Writing reports, batch records and tech transfer documents
- Presentation of results in cross-functional meetings
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, or a related field of science
- 0-2 years of experience in industrial settings
- Lab experience with proteins and nucleic acids
- Hands-on skills with cell culture, fermentation, aseptic techniques, AKTA FPLC platform, membrane separations, filters and centrifuges
- Understanding of principles of chromatography and filtration
- Data analysis and programming skills
- Time management and communication skills
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.