Sr. Scientist Analytical Development, mRNA Characterization
Reporting to the Associate Director of Analytical Development, the Senior Scientist will be responsible for establishing novel methods for the characterization of mRNA and applying these novel methods to advance our understanding of mRNA. The individual in this role will be a highly skilled, talented and motivated scientist that will be focused on mRNA characterization, Sanger sequencing and quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR). He/she will participate in performing biophysical characterization (UV/TM, DSC, CD, DLS and SAXS) of mRNA, kinetic analysis of mRNA degradation, elucidation of mRNA degradation pathways, Sanger sequencing and qPCR assays. The individual will work with other RAs and Scientists within the Analytical Development and across the Moderna ecosystem. The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related science) with 2+ years of post-doctoral experience and be a subject matter expert in the biophysical analysis of RNA.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Biophysical analysis of RNA structure using DSC, CD, DLS and SAXS
- Development of novel biochemical and biophysical methods for the characterization of mRNA
- Kinetic analysis of RNA degradation
- Elucidation of mRNA degradation pathways
- Establishment of an in-house Sanger sequencing workflow
- Lead qPCR development and technology transfer to CROs
- Accountable for project success and results delivery
- Record and communicate findings
- Presentation of results at internal meetings
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related science), or Ph.D. with 2-5 years of post-graduate work (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related science),
- Expert in RNA biophysics
- Experience in performing biophysical characterization of RNA using state of the art methods
- Experience in performing RNA kinetic studies
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to work independently and effectively in a highly dynamic environment
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.