Associate Principal Scientist, (Associate Director) Epidemiology
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
- May have overall responsibility for, or assist in, worldwide pharmacoepidemiologic planning and study recommendations for assigned Merck products in Respiratory, Immunology, or Cardiovascular therapy areas.
- Has lead responsibility or support responsibility for interaction with risk management subteams, value evidence subteams, clinical/regulatory subteams, and other areas of Merck Research Laboratories on epidemiologic matters related to product safety, risk management, post-marketing safety studies, post-authorization effectiveness studies, and regulatory activities.
- Has responsibility for the design, conduct, and analysis of epidemiologic research studies on assigned Merck products in Respiratory, Immunology, or Cardiovascular therapy areas.
- May present epidemiologic research plans or results to internal review and governance committees; to external agencies such as FDA (including advisory committees) or EMA and at scientific conferences.
- Maintains close working relationships with colleagues in Clinical Research, Regulatory, Outcomes Research, and Health Economics. Assists them in areas where knowledge of epidemiology is relevant.
- Contributes to Merck's prestige by maintaining recognition as an expert in his/her field; may publish independent scientific research in leading journals, participate in and present at scientific organizations and meetings, and serve as a peer reviewer for scientific journals.
PhD in Epidemiology or MD with additional research training in epidemiology and at least 2 years of relevant work experience
Alternatively, Master’s degree in epidemiology with at least 4 years of relevant work experience.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Experience in the successful direction of epidemiologic projects
- Knowledge and experience in the application of epidemiologic approaches to problems in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Experience in conducting pharmacoepidemiology studies using real-world data
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck