Associate Director, Customer & Patient Strategy
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the team responsible for development, design, launch and execution of integrated patient access strategies across all the Merck brands in the U.S. Working closely with each of brand marketing teams, this individual seeks to understand the challenges their patients have in gaining access to and staying on their medications, as prescribed and supports the design, approval and execution of the most appropriate resources to support those patients and the brand.
The Associate Director, Patient Access serves as the subject manager and is also responsible for monitoring competitor offerings, new technologies and for identifying the best practices, trends and opportunities and to secure the appropriate business approvals to enable patients on Merck products to benefit from these program offerings.
- Lead the design, development and execution of patient access strategy framework applying HQ strategy across brands to support brand team decision-making
- Oversea the deployment, monitoring, and optimization of coupons and vouchers.
- Serve as Commercial Lead (across all brands) on Coupon Strategy Board along with Legal and Finance
- Disseminate internal best-practices and share brand learnings across brands
- Lead business case development process (coordinating across stakeholder groups) for new coupon programs
- Identify industry best practices and bring new technologies/vendors into Merck to evolve our capabilities, offerings and simplify/improve access for patients
- Collaborate with the brand teams to understand their needs in patient access and help them solve access issues through technology and offering design (coupons, vouchers, samples)
- Proactively analyze aspects of their brand and lead design recommendations
- Serve as a single point person for the brands to address their access questions
- Communicate frequently with the field and sales leadership around the implementation of new initiatives
- Serve as a resource for CTLs and Reps when coupon related issues/questions arise
- Refer to appropriate internal stakeholder group, as appropriate (eg. IADS, Finance)
- Consult on program monitoring, reporting and performance measurement
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Required: Bachelor's Degree
- Preferred: Masters in Business Administration
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in marketing or related support functions
- Demonstrated ability to make and defend strategic decisions
- Strong knowledge of marketing principles
- Experience and success in cross-functional leadership and teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to execute a brand or customer marketing strategy
- Excellent planning and presentation skills
- Strong collaboration and ability to lead without authority
- Understanding of the regulations on pharmaceutical promotion
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience managing a team
- Knowledge/experience with the development of a patient access strategy, including coupons, vouchers, etc.,
- Experience as a job owner, securing approvals through the promotion review team
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Marketing Communications/Channels
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck