Director, Project Management Office – Product Development; Global Project and Alliance Mana...
Thisposition may be in either RY or UG.
GlobalProject and Alliance Management (GPAM) sits in the R&D organization atMerck (Merck Research Laboratories, or MRL). The Project Managers andAlliance Managers in GPAM are core members of discovery, development, andalliance teams at Merck. Project Managers drive these cross-functional teamsto deliver projects and products that improve human health and Merck’sbusiness, and Alliance Managers ensure successful collaborations with ourR&D alliance partners. The GPAM Project Management Office (PMO) is responsiblefor the development, sustainment, and training of GPAM-owned systems, tools,and business processes as well as alignment with Finance, IT, and functionalarea operations groups within Merck.
Underthe broad guidance of the head of the Project Management Office and BusinessOperations, this pipeline-focused senior PM will support divisional andcross-divisional operations and related operational reviews, includingdivisional scorecard activities, pipeline- and portfolio-relatedvisualizations and reporting, R&D benchmarking, and portfolio managementneeds. The role may also managedevelopment programs and / or due diligence/business development activities,regardless of complexity, phase or program type, based on direct experienceand / or the ability to translate prior experiences to a new challenge.
Supportof divisionaland cross-divisional operations and related operational reviews andmanagement of development programs (60- 80%)
· Ensuring accurate and timelyupdates to pipeline reporting including the MRL Scorecard and external pipeline-related reporting
· Ownership of R&D benchmarking activities
· Proactive identification, design,implementation, and continuousimprovement of efficient and effective project and portfolio managementsystems and information sharing modalities including planning, scheduling andcost management across the portfolio of development programs
· Independentmanagementof product development projects and/ or due diligence efforts of any type, including those which requireextensive experience with drug / vaccine / biologics development, the Merckorganization, and Merck processes and procedures related to development teamsdue to their significant importance to the company or complexity. Must be able to support any type ofproject, irrespective of phase, complexity, priority or involvement with analliance partner. Interactions with managerregarding projects are generally of a consultation type, rather than "oversight".
TalentDevelopment, Process Improvement / PM Operational Support (20 - 40%)
Inaddition to pipeline/portfolio management and management of developmentprojects, will do one or more of the following:
· Coach more junior staff in the nuances of managing adevelopment project or in PMO activities: management of team dynamics,understanding stages of development and how functional inputs interact toensure project progression, coaching on MRL/ Merck processes relating todevelopment team management (e.g., VLAD, RDP/LDP creation, contracting,etc.), PM skills, and team management.
· Work to ensure that PM best practices are beingemployed across projects.
· Participate in continuous improvement projects thatrequire extensive product development experience and understanding of Merckprocedures and policies, and which significantly impact the work and / oreffectiveness of PM. These projectscan relate to optimizing PM capabilities, systems, and operations (e,g.,leading efforts to improve planning systems / platforms, etc.) or toimproving the functioning of teams and / or development processes.
· Manage cross-divisional work groups and lead or inputinto improvements to processes / templates that support product developmentor project management.
Education Minimum Requirement:
Bachelor's degree required
Required Experience and Skills:
•Bachelor's degree required; concentration in a scientific-related discipline strongly preferred.•Six (6) years of experience in PM or related role/expertise in pharma and/or biotech required. •Excel, Spotfire, and/or similar expertise to conduct portfolio analyses and reviews •Extensive experience with the planning and execution of strategies for drug / vaccine product registration and commercialization / life-cycle management (can be R&D, manufacturing or commercial perspective) strongly preferred, with demonstrated ability to translate knowledge and expertise to other development teams and areas.•Demonstrated ability to manage resources, time, and budget effectively for given development projects; is business savvy and results oriented.•Well-developed and effective team facilitation and leadership skills; able to establish cooperative team environments. Customer focused.
In addition, applicant must be willing to work in office (RY or UG) at least 2 days/week (subject to departmental remote work policy).
Preferred Experience and Skills:
•Twelve (12) + years of relevant experience preferred, or equivalent combination of advanced education and relevant experience and/or training. •Advanced scientific degree (e.g., MS, PharmD, Ph.D.) preferred.•Project management certification (PMP) and /or formal coursework/training in project management strongly preferred. •Sufficient skill levels and technical understanding of product development to be recognized as a project management / product development expert within MRL and Merck.•Well-connected and networked within MRL and Merck or has attributes that would allow establishment of such networks rapidly.•Proven ability to analyze, integrate, recommend, contribute to development of conceptual plans for, and lead implement of, strategic, process, and team improvement and change initiatives cross-functionally.•Effective at energizing others, establishing clear goals, delegating responsibility, mentoring and coaching within a team setting.•Demonstrated situational leadership and creative problem solving within department and teams.•Able to understand project details, but keep overall “big picture” view of projects, priorities, and strategies•Strong communication skills, both oral and written. Knows when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to team and to management. Keeps both team members, departmental colleagues (as appropriate), and management fully apprised of project / initiative status and issues.
Job: Product Dev Proj/Prog Mgmnt
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): 1st
Company Trade Name: Merck