Associate Specialist, Engineering
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The entry level engineer is a technical staff member within Global Packaging Technical Operations, which provides packaging support to all human health products glogally. The focus of projects will involve packaging equipment, packaging processes and packaging controls at our internal and external sites globally. Under general scientific and administrative direction, the engineer leverages experience gained on scientific/ technical/ business issues to lead project teams and technical staff. The engineer will demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities to optimize business, technical, and compliance processes. The person in this position participates in high impact, complex cross-functional and cross-divisional teams and initiatives, and provides leadership to achieve project goals. Effective collaboration with teams is essential to meet Merck's goals/objectives.
This engineer will lead complex global and site projects. These projects will include new packaging equipment purchases, packaging equipment moves, packaging sources changes, and packaging site support. This will include approximately 50% travel on average with occasional peaks to support these projects.
- Has an understanding of packaging scientific/technical concepts and techniques, applies and furthers those concepts and techniques to execute in pursuit of resolving scientific/technical packaging issues.
- Pioneers the application, sharing and retention of cutting-edge techniques or processes, including those from other industries by providing leadership in Communities of Practice and other forums.
Science with a Strategic Business Focus:
- Ability to understand the bigger picture and business goals in order to ensure project success.
- Understands the criticality of securing early sponsorship and stakeholder alignment for projects and initiatives
- Operates effectively as a leader of a project, or a key member of multiple small teams.
- Makes informed cost/ benefit decisions based on analysis of inputs, outcomes, risk and likely return, and displays ownership.
- Demonstrates the necessary collaboration skills to integrate input and perspective from various sources, and demonstrate ability to explain the decision and its implications to key stakeholders, and champions initiatives.
- Continuously develops skills in and routinely applies appropriate tools to measure and enhance functional and team performance.
- Utilizes packaging expertise to develop value added solutions to customer needs.
- Uses feedback to ensure that customer/stakeholder needs are the cornerstone of his/her decisions, expectations are met on a consistent basis, and works with a long-term perspective in addressing customer problems.
Culture and interactions with others:
- Actively supports and applies the various initiatives and goals of MMD and the company.
- Acts as a catalyst for change and stimulates others to change.
- Guides the reallocation of roles and responsibilities across team members to facilitate goal achievement and personal development.
- Contributes to developing technical skills in organization and builds high performance teams.
- Speaks/presents effectively to both internal and external audiences to influence change and build consensus.
- Continually improves communication systems and practices within and across teams/units/functions.
- Proactively reviews own performance and progress, and seeks feedback from manager/peers/stakeholder to close gaps.
- Shows courage to provide candid, timely and tactful communication and feedback to others.
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Packaging Sciences, or Technical Area.
- Intern or Co-Op with a packaging background.
- Interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Experience and knowledge of the Pharmaceutical environment.
- Experience in packaging equipment.
- Project leadership/ management and problem solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills including flexibility and ability to work in a team environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Packaging Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck