Biologist-Mammalian Cell Culture-FDE
The Biologics Automation Group at the Lilly Biotechnology Center in San Diego has an exciting opportunity. We are looking for a dedicated scientist to join our team as a Fixed Duration Employee to help us achieve our goals. Are you looking for a chance to gain experience working for an industry leading pharmaceutical company passionate about making lives better for patients? As a part of the Biologics team you will be responsible for propagation of mammalian cell lines on an automated cell culture system in support of ongoing research projects. You will have the opportunity to work in state-of-the-art laboratories and gain valuable experience.Key Objectives/Deliverables:
- Provide mammalian cell cultures to scientists across the site as needed using an automated cell culture system (SelecT). This includes regular propagation of the cell lines as well as introduction of new cell lines into the system as needed. Working with instrument manufacturer to ensure proper functioning of the instrument.
- Provide laboratory reagents including buffer solutions, enzyme mixes and competent E. coli cells as needed by scientists in the Automation Group
- Maintain inventory and update supplies for the Automation group's Laboratory Supply Center
- Work collaboratively with project teams on-site to achieve critical research objectives and timelines
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We're looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or related discipline
- At least 1 year of experience in laboratory related employment
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position
- Good working knowledge of the SelecT, including routine passaging of cells, the introduction of new cell lines and troubleshooting of issues.
- Adept at basic molecular biology techniques including preparation of competent E. coli cells, bacterial transformation, DNA fragment cloning, DNA miniprep isolation and quantification.
- Experience in the maintenance of automation equipment including plate washers, and liquid handlers.
- Ability to work in a team environment under strict timelines with excellent attention to detail.
- This position is not permanent. It is for a fixed duration of two years with the potential to extend annually for up to 4 years.
Lilly credits its exceptional employees for its successes, and knows the key to ongoing achievement lies in attracting and retaining the best people. A company rich in heritage, Lilly employs individuals, conducts research and markets products worldwide. By providing for the unmet needs of our customers through a continuous stream of innovation, we will outgrow all competitors.
- Lilly earns consistent and wide recognition for creating an exceptional work environment:
- Business Week magazine 50 Best Places To Launch A Career™
- FORTUNE America's Most Admired Companies™
- FORTUNE 50 Best Companies for Minorities™
- Working Mother 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers™
- Industry Week magazine 100 Best-Managed Companies™
- Science magazine Best Companies for Scientists™